Marinade:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp cooking cherry
3 to 5tbsp Hoisin sauce
1tbsp honey
1tbsp chicken broth
1tbsp vegetable oil

For easier eating, cut between each rib half way down. Trim off excess fat. Mix all marinade ingredients together, put ribs in a large container and pour marinade over them. Marinate in fridge for 3 hours, turning each hour. Roast ribs on a foil covered rack in a large pan at 400F for 45 minutes. Baste occasionally with any leftover marinade.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm reporting this post!!!!

trim off excess fat??? are you nuts?

lol, j/k mav. this looks really good. i will certainly be making them soon. thanks. :chef:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mav, your recipe looks similar to the one I use by BBQ'er Paul Kirk. I have posted it many times before with his knowledge and consent (it's from his book "Champion BBQ Sauces and Rubs"). They are SO good, aren't they???

I like the fact that you use honey instead of sugar, though. I may try that next time.

I use red food coloring to make the Char Sui ribs look more "authentic" - try a little, if you have it, in your next batch. I could have even used a little more red in the photo below.

Below is Paul's recipe and a picture of three racks of babybacks I did on my WSM, as part of a Chinese feast a couple of friends and I cooked.

Char Sui is wonderful on pork loin, tender loin, and country ribs, too! I've never used it for pork chops, but I don't see why not! LOL!

Lee

Char Siu Marinade (Paul Kirk’s) – for Chinese pork

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar
3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring

In a bowl, dissolve sugar in the sherry and soy sauce. Add the hoisin sauce, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt and red food coloring. Blend well.

Marinate pork loin or ribs overnight. Roast, grill or smoke until just done.

17charsiuribsbl3.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mav, your recipe looks similar to the one I use by BBQ'er Paul Kirk. I have posted it many times before with his knowledge and consent (it's from his book "Champion BBQ Sauces and Rubs"). They are SO good, aren't they???

I like the fact that you use honey instead of sugar, though. I may try that next time.

I use red food coloring to make the Char Sui ribs look more "authentic" - try a little, if you have it, in your next batch. I could have even used a little more red in the photo below.

Below is Paul's recipe and a picture of three racks of babybacks I did on my WSM, as part of a Chinese feast a couple of friends and I cooked.

Char Sui is wonderful on pork loin, tender loin, and country ribs, too! I've never used it for pork chops, but I don't see why not! LOL!

Lee

Char Siu Marinade (Paul Kirk’s) – for Chinese pork

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar
3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring

In a bowl, dissolve sugar in the sherry and soy sauce. Add the hoisin sauce, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt and red food coloring. Blend well.

Marinate pork loin or ribs overnight. Roast, grill or smoke until just done.

17charsiuribsbl3.jpg

I can't remember where the recipe came from, maybe someone did a close approximation of his?
I also cheat sometimes and add in a packet of Chinese Rib sauce. It comes in a powder and you add brown sugar and soy sauce to it. So in this case I just throw the packet into the mix without making it into a sauce first. Gives it a nice red coloring to it!

K

Kimchee

Resurrecting an old thread, shame on me...

But has anyone tried this sauce on anything other than ribs?
I just got a jar of Char Sui, and am thinking it might be really good on chicken,
and maybe even salmon or even grilled veggies....

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Dang, I totally forgot about these, LOL! Well, it's summer so I think I should put it on my list. As for things other than ribs or rib tips, I have never tried it on anything else. Chicken sounds like it might be good, maybe even on some chicken wings. Not sure about on fish though.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Kimchee, I have used it on pork loin (I even injected the loin to get the marinade inside!), pork tenderloin, and country ribs.

It would be great on pork chops, too!

Lee

K

Kimchee

It was really good on pork chops. I just basted some on towards the end of the grilling, since it is so strong of a flavor. Excellent!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just used Paul Kirk's Char Siu marinade on some country style ribs and did them in the oven (this thread really shouldn't have "BBQ" in the title!)

Marinated the ribs overnight, baked at 350 for 20 minutes on a rack over a cookie sheet.

Then baste with the marinade (heated to simmer) every 10 minutes for the last 30 minutes.

Served with potstickers, homemade dipping sauce and edamame. YUMMM!

Lee

Attachments

• Char Siu, raw.JPG
    Char Siu, raw.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Char Siu, cooked.JPG
    Char Siu, cooked.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Char Siu, plated.JPG
    Char Siu, plated.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 146

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG! You're killing me Lee! That looks and sounds to die for! How I'd love to get my hands on those right now! Awesome job!! :clap: