Sicilian Feast of the 7 Fishes on Xmas

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Thought this might be interesting. I dont celebrate this and my family never has because we were from Calabria Italy.. not Sicily. BTW.. people from Italy regard all people from Sicily as either evil, or jerks. The Italian mafia mainly came from that area. Maybe thats why. I dont dislike people that originated from there, but I thought it might interest you folks. :brows:

Feast of the 7 Fishes
It is tradition that the Sicilians (and some Italians) have a 7 fish dinner on Christmas Eve. Some think that it is perhaps one representing each day of the week, but most traditions come from the observance of the Cena della Vigilia, the wait for the miraculous birth of Christ in which early Christians Catholics fasted on Christmas Eve until after receiving communion at Midnight Mass. In later years it became a penitential day, meaning that all foods except meat were allowed. Other theories include are that there would be served three fish dishes representing the three Wise Men or the Holy Trinity while in some there may have been as many as thirteen, one for each of the apostles plus one for Jesus. Each family and each sect of the Italian culture is different, (the fish they say is from a tradition those from Naples brought over), it also depends on what was available in various parts of Italy. In most of the southern coastal regions in Italy and Sicily, seafood was abundant and so the perfect opportunity to work fish into the menu for this festive day. Others have 9 Fish, and yet others 12 types for the representation of the original 12 apostles. In any case, its all fish, don't forget that.
Some Suggestions:
Antipasto Antipasto is basically an appetizer consisting of Mozzarella, Provolone, Olives, Roasted Peppers, Hot Peppers, Marinated Artichoke Hearts, Fresh Italian/French Bread. Usually it would have meat such as prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, soprosata in it as well, but since its Christmas Eve, these meats should be absent from the large plate of these foods piled high.

Baccala A staple at any Christmas Eve dinner, it's a dried cod, and takes several days to prepare.
Calamari squid, boiled
Shrimp shellfish, boiled
Clams shellfish, steamed till they open
Crab shellfish, boiled
Whitefish, flounder or other type, bake in oven
Mussels/Oysters shellfish, steam until they open

The whitefish and baccala are usually fried. The calamari, clams and mussels are either simmered into tomato sauce and served over linguine or angel hair pasta, or boiled, steamed or baked as noted above. Some other dishes I have seen on the table:

• Lobster
  • Lobster Ravioli
  • Tuna Fish & Cannellini Beans
  • Salmon & Chick Peas
  • Mussels Marinara
  • Fried Flounder Filet
  • Fried Calamari

K

Kimchee

Bobby Flay's Throwdown did an episode on this recently. Really sounded interesting, but golly, what a LOT of cooking!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I saw that same episode, I think they pared it down to just three instead of seven if I remember right. It was a cool episode to watch!
Yes, definitely a lot of cooking there!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I do the Feast of the 7 Fishes every year - I'm half sicilian, half napilotano. Lou is half sicilian, half calabrese - I've been called half witch, half bitch, but that's another story for another time... I've been told the 7 fishes are for the 7 sacraments. 12 is another option for the 12 disciples.

First course in the parlour is cold shrimp with assorted cheeses.l

Second course is crab and corn bisque. I have a voigner to serve with this.

Third course is seafood fra diavlo over linguine with clams, mussels. Also at this course is fried calamari with sweet and hot pomodoro sauces. I have a petit chablis to serve with this.

Fourth course is seared scallops and bronzino ( a mediterrean sea fish) with pea puree and sauteed butternut squash with mushrooms. I have a pinot noir to serve with this.

Dessert is strufoli, croque em bouche, and christmas cookies.

I love the traditional 7 fishes dinner for christmas eve.