Brown-Butter Cardamom Banana Bread

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan of Chris Kimball, and was sorry to see him leave America's Test Kitchen.

But I've subscribed to his new newsletter, so I still get to read him.

Had to try this recipe - anything with brown butter has to be good! Well, it's good, and I now know that I like cardamom. But you cannot taste the brown butter in the bread (I ADORE brown butter!).

However, this is a delicious bread, particularly toasted .... with butter. :whistle:

My photos are under the recipe.

Lee

Milk Street Kitchen is the new venture of former America'sTest Kitchen, Cook's Illustrated & Cook's Countryfounder Christopher Kimball. For more information, head to their website.
BROWN BUTTER-CARDAMOM BANANA BREAD
http://katu.com/amnw/cooking-recipes/milk-street-kitchen-brown-butter-cardamom-banana-bread

Start to finish: 1 hour 15 minutes (25 minutes active)
Makes one 9-inch loaf
We found we needed two leaveners. Baking powder alone gave the bread lift but turned out a pale loaf. Baking soda resulted in a well-browned top but a dense crumb. Combining the two was perfect. Measuring the bananas in a 1-cup dry measuring cup was important; the difference in moisture between 4 small and 4 large bananas could throw off the balance of the ingredients. While we preferred the deeper flavor of dark brown sugar here, light brown works just as well. Sprinkling granulated sugar over the top of the loaf just before baking created a crisp, brown crust that we loved.

· 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt
· 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
· 1¼ teaspoons ground cardamom
· 2 cups mashed banana (about 4 very ripe bananas)
· ¾ cup packed (5¼ ounces) dark brown sugar
· 2 large eggs
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 tablespoon white sugar (optional)

Heat the oven to 350?F with a rack in the upper-middle position. Mist a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, continue to cook, swirling the pan often, until the butter is fragrant and deep brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately whisk in the cardamom. Carefully add the bananas (the butter will sizzle and bubble up) and whisk until combined. Add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, then whisk until smooth. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and, using a silicone spatula, fold until just combined and no dry flour remains.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the white sugar, if using. Bake until the loaf is well browned, the top is cracked and a toothpick inserted at the center of the loaf comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out the loaf and cool completely before serving. Cooled bread can be wrapped tightly and stored at room temperature for up to 4 days or refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Attachments

• Banana bread 1.JPG
    Banana bread 1.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Banana bread 2.JPG
    Banana bread 2.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Banang bread 3.JPG
    Banang bread 3.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Banana bread 4.JPG
    Banana bread 4.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 144

Johnny West

I love banana bread so will give this recipe a try next time.

Lee, do you have a link to his newsletter? All I could find was test kitchen blogs.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, check your PM's.

If you email me, I can forward the email to you.

Lee