Hard "Boiled" Eggs (Oven Baked Eggs)

LADawg

I read on face book that the best way to cook a hard "boiled" egg was in the oven.
Seems that you place the eggs in a muffin tin so they want move around and place them in a preheated 325° oven for 25 to 30 minutes. They claim that the eggs not only taste better, but are also easier to peel.
Anyone ever tried anything like this?????

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Re: Hard "Boiled" Eggs

hoggie wash.

the white/yolk of chicken eggs "set up" at specific temps.

the inside of the egg has absolutely no clue if the heat is from the oven or boiling water or steam or lava bath or . . . pick it.....

"tastes better" if anybody can 'splain how an egg can taste better from oven heat vs boiling water heat, please feel free.... as Spock so famously said: "I'm all ears"

"easier to peel"
sheeeeeeeeit.
salt
vinegar
baking powder
baking soda (some dummies don't know the diff....)

if you want to peel the eggs easier, here's how:
take them out of the
boiling water
hot oven
nuclear reactor....

immediately immerse in ice water. ice water as in water with many ice cubes floating around in it.

the science is real:
hot eggs continue to cook; they give off steam in that process.
put into ice water, the 'given off' steam condenses into water at the shell.
crack shell, water layer makes shell come off clean.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Hmmmm - once cooked in some manner, car c king and removing enough she'll to slip a spoon between the shell and the egg had always made peddling an egg easier for me.

I do my soft boiled eggs that way and they come out intact.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I read on face book that the best way to cook a hard "boiled" egg was in the oven.
Seems that you place the eggs in a muffin tin so they want move around and place them in a preheated 325° oven for 25 to 30 minutes. They claim that the eggs not only taste better, but are also easier to peel.
Anyone ever tried anything like this?????

Easy and cheap enough to try. I will!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Alton Brown likes this method:

"
Baked Eggs

Sure you could just boil your eggs for dying but, if you need to do more than one dozen at a time, baking is best.

Position the oven racks in the center of the oven, then arrange the eggs in a mini muffin tin. Set the oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes. When the eggs are done fill a large bowl with ice water and move the eggs into a bowl. Peel the eggs as soon as they are cool enough to handle, then return them to the ice bath to thoroughly chill.​

I usually find baked eggs a little harder to peel than steamed (or boiled), but just barely. The fact that shell of the baked eggs gets hotter during cooking than the shell of the steamed eggs may be a factor. Still I prefer the slightly creamier texture of baked eggs to steamed or boil. I imagine its because the dry heat moves into these eggs more slowly than steam heat does."​

If you're cooking several dozen eggs for Easter, I can see where this method would be more convenient. I've never tried it though. I'll always love to dye eggs no matter how old I get.​

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I'll always love to dye eggs no matter how old I get.

Me, too!

They are so beautiful before I put them in the fridge!

Wish I could keep them from "sweating"!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried this method with two eggs this morning.

Baked at 325 for 25 minutes. Let cool on the counter for 10 minutes, but it wasn't enough - the shells were still too hot to peel.

So, I ran some cool tap water over them for a few seconds, and could peel them.

Very easy to peel! There were a couple of little scorched spots on the outside of the whites, but no green ring around the yolks.

Alton Brown is right - the yolks had a creamier texture than those of hard boiled, and the whites were more tender, less "rubbery" than boiled.

I tucked them, still warm, in half of a pita bread with some mayo - delicious!

I will use this method from now on, to cook my eggs for breakfast and lunches for the week.

However, I might still hard boil my white eggs to color, to avoid the scorched spots.

Great find, LADawg! :applause:

Lee

Attachments

• Baked eggs 1 - in muffin tin.JPG
    Baked eggs 1 - in muffin tin.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Baked eggs 2 - peeled.JPG
    Baked eggs 2 - peeled.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Baked eggs 3 - split halves.JPG
    Baked eggs 3 - split halves.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 170

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great post.

I occasionally will boil up a bunch of eggs and take two to work in a plastic bag. This could be an option for that use. I wonder if they would still taste creamier after a day or so in the fridge and the trip to work.

For an egg or two, time would be a factor for me. Counting time to heat the oven and 25 min to bake we are at abut 40 min.

Of late, my breakfast is one soft boiled egg, one half cup plain Yogurt and a cup of coffee. I have a routine, put water on to boil, put egg in hot tap water, put coffee on. Get dressed, water is boiling, put egg in, set timer for 4 minutes, get two bowls out, put in yogurt, tidy the kitchen up, timer goes off, peel egg using a spoon, coffee gasps it's last gap, pour coffee and go eat, 20 minutes.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As I'm baking more eggs for breakfasts/lunches, I am reminded that I haven't posted a photo I took of some of the baked-on "goo" that appears on eggshells when you cook them this way.

Nothing wrong with it (although, I do wonder what it IS), but it's the reason I wanted to boil my white eggs for Easter.

Lee

Attachments

• Baked egg debris.JPG
    Baked egg debris.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 146

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
did you pierce the big end of the egg before the ovening?

eggs have feelings; when put under pressure things ooze out . . .

Leni

I didn't pierce the eggs and did not have a problem with goo. I did bring them to room temperature first though.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just boiled some eggs (six) for a potato salad today.

Starting them off in enough cold water to just cover the eggs, I let the water come to a rolling boil. Then I turned the burner down halfway, set the timer on the microwave for 15 minutes.

When the timer timed out, I removed the the pot of eggs to the sink and ran cold water in the pot to cool the eggs, making them easy to handle. Peeled them, sliced them, and they were perfect!! Sliced them up. The whites were perfect and the yolks were a bright sunshine yellow! No brown whites or gray yolks!! :eating2: