Brown Rice

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have leftover cooked brown rice.

I am looking for new and different ideas to use it.

I really don't want to use it for fried rice or a pilaf type dish.

Maybe something hot or cold with a dressing/sauce and veggies?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This looks good Peeps. I found it Kalyn's Kitchen Blog:

Greek-Inspired Leftover Brown Rice Casserole with Red Pepper, Onions, and Feta

(Makes about 4 main course or 6 side dish servings, recipe created by Kalyn.)

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked leftover brown rice
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fairly small
1 large red bell pepper, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tsp. Greek Seasoning (I use Penzeys Greek seasoning, which is a mixture of salt, Turkish oregano, garlic, lemon peel, black pepper, and marjoram.)
6 oz. crumbled feta cheese (about 1 cup, don't buy pre-crumbled feta, buy a block and crumble it)
1/4 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade chicken stock

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F/190C.

Chop onion and red pepper. Heat 1 T olive oil in heavy frying pan, add onion and saute over medium-high heat about 2 minutes. Add red pepper and Greek seasoning and saute 2-3 minutes more. Add rice and saute about 1 minute, stirring with a turner so the veggies are evenly distributed in the rice. Turn off heat and gently stir in crumbled feta cheese and pour over chicken stock.

Spray a glass or ceramic casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray, then pour in rice mixture and spread around in an even layer. Cover casserole and bake about 25 minutes. Remove lid and bake about 5-10 minutes more, until cheese looks slightly melted. Serve hot.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, this is a recipe from my very first cookbook, "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook".

The use of French dressing sounds odd, but all together, this is delicious!

Lee

Rice and Ham Salad

1 1/3 cups long grain rice
1/4 French salad dressing
3/4 cup mayo
1 T green onion, chopped
1/2 teas salt
1/2 to 1 teas curry powder
1/2 dried mustard
black pepper

8 ounces cooked ham, diced or cut in strips
1 cup sliced raw cauliflower
1/2 10oz box frozen peas, cooked and chilled (or just fully thawed)
1/2 chopped celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
1 casaba melon, chilled (Lee's note: I have never usedthis)

Cook rice, toss with French dressing and chill for several hours. Combine mayo, green onion, and seasonings. Add to the chilled rice and toss. Add ham and vegs; toss.

Cut melon into rings, remove rind and seeds, and mound the salad on top of the rings.

Serves 6

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama, that looks fantastic! I am a sucker for rice dishes! And anything with feta!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you Mama. That looks really good as a side for lamb chops and served with greek salad. I may save this to use for a greek dinner.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
i freeze the leftover rice and then just add it, frozen, to a pan of chicken and add sauce as desired ... it defrosts as the chicken cooks and then I have an almost one pot meal.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
smushed black beenz, alfalfa sprout/etc., a crispy lettuce, avacado, choice of shredded cheese, seasonings like cumin on the rice, mild green chiles, chix strips, on a whole-grain tortilla as a wrap. vary to your liking. wrap very tightly in foil & bake @ 350 til warmed thru. may un-wrap & add veggies after cooking to minimize wilting or have cold.

add seasonings/lemon/pignolis/dried fruit & stuff chix w/it.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
smushed black beenz, alfalfa sprout/etc., a crispy lettuce, avacado, choice of shredded cheese, seasonings like cumin on the rice, mild green chiles, chix strips, on a whole-grain tortilla as a wrap. vary to your liking. wrap very tightly in foil & bake @ 350 til warmed thru. may un-wrap & add veggies after cooking to minimize wilting or have cold.

add seasonings/lemon/pignolis/dried fruit & stuff chix w/it.

Hey that sounds good!!!
I like the ideas of the rice 'salad' with feta too :thumb: