Chicken stock

calcmandan

I have all the supplies needed to make a rather large batch of chicken stock. When I got my equipment, it was based on a youtube video instructing from a cooking school. The technique called for boiling the whole chicken and pulling the meat off and continuing

Over the course of the last number of months I began buying my chicken parts unprocessed. The goal was to do the task of cleaning all the parts of bone and skin and freezing the meat. As such, I saved the bones and collected quite a bit in foodsaver bags.

So now I'd like to make a good batch of stock but don't want to waste bones by adding too many. I suppose, what I'm seeking, is advice on how to not overestimate the needed amouts. The stock pot I bought is 4 gallons. I have two 5 gallon culinary buckets for dumping into and chilling the stock to pull the hardened fat from the top. Have a large chinois and china cap for straining. And of course, jars to store at 2 cups per jar.

The recipe calls for mirpoix so it's a veggie based white chicken stock and when I've made it in the past it only needed one chicken but I ultimately yielded about two gallons at the end and slightly watery. I'd like to yield more along the lines of 3 gallons since it will last me longer. The attached image is my collection of thigh and leg bone which weighs in at 86.2 ouces or 5.4lbs.

Please let me know if I missed any more details. Im hoping to get away with making a rich stock with 24 ounces of bone.
093c171e9d87124bef7641c44f85cd88.jpg

Daniel

Last edited:

calcmandan

I've watched a few videos and it seems that 5lbs of bone is about right for this batch size.

I'll gamble and use it all. And after a number of videos it is clear that mirpoix is standard in stocks.

Daniel

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, I definitely would use all the bones collected!

There is no such thing as a stock that's too chicken-y!

I bet it is delicious!

Lee

calcmandan

Oh, I definitely would use all the bones collected!

There is no such thing as a stock that's too chicken-y!

I bet it is delicious!

Lee
Iknow what you mean. I was thinking that I could get away with less bone and still have a rich stock and then i'd have bones for another batch. But, by that time I'll have more bone to use since I use alot of chicken.

Daniel

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I usually save the bones, skin and juices from rotisserie chickens, plus any raw wing tips I collect and freeze them individually. When I want chicken soup I use 1 chicken carcass, wing tips, leek greens/tops, parsley stems, onions with skin on (dirty root end removed), carrots with skin on (dirty root end removed), outer tough dark celery stalks (save tender hearts, leaves and pale stalks for the soup). I cover with water and bring to boil. When boiling reduce to gentle simmer for 2 hours. I use a 5.5 quart pot and after I pull everything out I get about 3 - 4 quarts of stock that looks like jello the next day.