Facebook

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
question for experienced users....

I have an account, I use it for signing in to various sites. it's convenient since many sites 'recognize' Facebook...

there is not a single thing in/on the account. no posts, no pix, no hobbies, absolutely nothing. Facebook is a security sewer and I have no intention of using it...

it's set so that only friends of friends can send me a friend request.
and there are no, zip, zilch, not-a-single friend on the account.

but I'm constantly getting friend requests from some pretty strange people / places....

does this happen to everyone?
any clues or ideas how/why it's happening?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
question for experienced users....

I have an account, I use it for signing in to various sites. it's convenient since many sites 'recognize' Facebook...

there is not a single thing in/on the account. no posts, no pix, no hobbies, absolutely nothing. Facebook is a security sewer and I have no intention of using it...

it's set so that only friends of friends can send me a friend request.
and there are no, zip, zilch, not-a-single friend on the account.

but I'm constantly getting friend requests from some pretty strange people / places....

does this happen to everyone?
any clues or ideas how/why it's happening?

Lots of people are like you, Chowder.
They appear to have empty pages.

I've got like 47 people on my friends list.
Family, people I've worked with in the past, old childhood friends.
Some people have hundreds of "friends" :yum:
Really? I've led a pretty eventful life moving all over since I was a kid and don't have that many I can call friend. Lol

I got a request from a guy once.
My account is friends only.
Friends list is invisible unless you've been "friended".
My account is private, now!

My friend Traci had her account hacked because someone used her name yadda yadda.
I go there daily to check stuff out.
Mostly to see what's up at my old place of employment through friends and to grab some pretty funny pics both just funny and yes political.
I don't have any problems.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Facebook is a security sewer
This pretty much covers it.

I believe in another life, you programmed computers. Then you know that anything can be exploited. A piece of code that big cannot be secure.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Depends on what one puts out there in order to worry about it being a security sewer.
Just sayin...

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well, Facebook just got caught with 50 million accounts exposed to complete takeover.
the big thing used to be hacking in through a computer port. with 256 ports on the board, exactly how much effort is required to test against ports 0 thru 255?

but indeed - the code for these sites is so huge it's very unlikely to not have exploits. and it's often written 'piecemeal' - a function from India, a different function from China, etc etc - and no one ever correlates the 'assumptions'

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
At the moment, this concerns me more than facebook.

Screenshot_20181004-165204_Chrome.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, that alert startled me just like the Amber alerts do when the system is up full throttle.
I'd rather have such an alert than not, quite frankly.
I'm not one of those people who are all paranoid thinking I'm being violated by technology.
For cripe's sake...

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
not sure what that is, however McAfee's statements are incorrect, wrong, and typically OMG-here-let-me-scare-you-to-death stuff.

just search on 'mcafee e911'
snippet:
"
The presidential alert test did not use E911. It used a different system, WEA, that sends information to cellphones. According to FEMA, "Cell-Broadcast is a one-way communications protocol."
E911 is an unrelated system that is used to locate someone who has called 911. It uses phones built in GPS. There is no "E911 Chip."
Neither WEA nor E911 allows access to a consumers camera or microphone."