dinner tuesday, january 18th, 2011

PanchoHambre

simple quick dinner tonight some italian sausages sauteed onions and potatoes... oh and a smoothie to make up for the lack of veggieness

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Well, my mushroom strudel didn't materialize. It got postponed to tomorrow. Time got away for me and I didn't get home from the grocery until 7:30.

Disclaimer for all you New Yorkers - THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CONEY ISLAND IN NEW YORK OR ITS HOTDOGS!!! (Those darn New Yorkers just love to tell us how it isn't right, but anyone from Michigan knows what a coney island is, and it ain't an amusement park!) Bams and Ronjohn will know what I'm talking about here.

Once every couple years, I order a 5 pound brick of coney chili from National. They supply the bulk chili sauce to many of the coney island restaurants. They ship it in dry ice, and I break it down into small portions and freeze. Well, tonight I finished the last of it. I used Nathans franks with the *snap* (it's not quite the same, but they'll do in a pinch), chopped the onions, and steamed the buns. Added good ol' yellow mustard, and had a couple authentic coney islands in Florida!

Just for the record, I think some folks outside of Michigan call these "Michigan hotdogs".

Mr. Green Jeans

SS, Skyline in Cincy makes a mean chili dog as well. On a special occasion, I'll make up a batch of Cincinnati style chili and serve it over Nathan's dogs with some extra sharp Tilamook shredded cheddar cheese. My way of uniting East, West and Midwest

SilverSage

Resident Crone
SS, Skyline in Cincy makes a mean chili dog as well. On a special occasion, I'll make up a batch of Cincinnati style chili and serve it over Nathan's dogs with some extra sharp Tilamook shredded cheddar cheese. My way of uniting East, West and Midwest

I've had Cinci chili, and it's real good. Your version of a chili dog sounds wonderful!!:applause:

But coney island chili (as it's called) isn't chili. There is actually nothing in the flavor profile that resembles chili. Nor is it from Coney Island. It's a meat sauce. There are no tomato products in it. And most people who love it don't realize that the only source of beef is beef heart. I've seen copycat recipes that include everything from boiled hamburger to ground up hotdogs. I've tried a lot of them, and they're not even close. Just ask any Michigander - they can't duplicate this stuff at home.

People in southeast Michigan flock to the coney places and LOVE their coney island hot dogs. I do, too. It's on my short list of things to eat whenever I go home. But they only see what's on their plate. They never see the nutritional label. The sauce is packaged in bulk, to be diluted 80/20 with water to make the sauce. I never knew what was in it until I ordered it from the supplier in bulk.

To quote the label, which I have in my hand,"beef heart meat, beef suet, water, cracker meal, spices, salt, flavorings, paprika. Doesn't that sound yummy? I keep thinking I'm going to buy a beef heart and try this.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Disclaimer for all you New Yorkers - THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CONEY ISLAND IN NEW YORK OR ITS HOTDOGS!!! (Those darn New Yorkers just love to tell us how it isn't right, but anyone from Michigan knows what a coney island is, and it ain't an amusement park!) Bams and Ronjohn will know what I'm talking about here.
Just for the record, I think some folks outside of Michigan call these "Michigan hotdogs".

yup i know what you mean...my two favorite Coney Islands in MI are http://www.gilliesconeyisland.com/ in Mount Morris,MI(Flint).... the other is http://www.nyredhots.com/ in Madison Heights, MI
I've had Cinci chili, and it's real good. Your version of a chili dog sounds wonderful!!:applause:

But coney island chili (as it's called) isn't chili. There is actually nothing in the flavor profile that resembles chili. Nor is it from Coney Island. It's a meat sauce. There are no tomato products in it. And most people who love it don't realize that the only source of beef is beef heart. I've seen copycat recipes that include everything from boiled hamburger to ground up hotdogs. I've tried a lot of them, and they're not even close. Just ask any Michigander - they can't duplicate this stuff at home.

People in southeast Michigan flock to the coney places and LOVE their coney island hot dogs. I do, too. It's on my short list of things to eat whenever I go home. But they only see what's on their plate. They never see the nutritional label. The sauce is packaged in bulk, to be diluted 80/20 with water to make the sauce. I never knew what was in it until I ordered it from the supplier in bulk.

To quote the label, which I have in my hand,"beef heart meat, beef suet, water, cracker meal, spices, salt, flavorings, paprika. Doesn't that sound yummy? I keep thinking I'm going to buy a beef heart and try this.

nothing like michigan "chili"...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

buckytom

Grill Master
i made turkey meataballs and campanelle.

in the pot:

2011-01-18_16-29-43_887.jpg

on the plate:

2011-01-18_17-29-15_881.jpg

and while the meataballs cooked, we prepared for nerf battle:

2011-01-18_17-13-36_29.jpg

2011-01-18_17-13-46_199.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
looks great Joe

my Asian theme started yesterday...found a Japanese Buffet..fresh sushi and everything else. along with mongolian bbq included in the lunch price of $5.99
Similar lunchtime inspiration story here. We have "China Buffet" that charges $4.49 for AYCE lunch (complete with sushi, fresh mussels and a mountain of peel-n-eat shrimp) from 11:30 to 3:00, then it goes up to $7.99, but they add scrawny crab legs, fried shrimp and several additional sushi choices. They do 125-150 patrons for lunch during the week, but I can't figure how they make any money at those prices. It's the absolute best Oriental buffet in Cleveland & surrounding burbs, with the food always hot and always fresh. At lunch you can fill carryout for $3.50/lb. (all seafood $1 more), and dinner is $4.50/lb.(all seafood $1 more).

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH Joe!! Yummy!! That looks good!!

Bucky I love the whole dang plate!! I have been wanting pasta for a week. Who won the war?

I see a big pot of "gravy" in my future!! LOL