Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
1/2 - 1 c of tomato sauce or however much will cover the bottom of a pan
Eggs
Parmesan, or any hard cheese
Salt and pepper
Dash of tabasco sauce

Bring both sauces to a simmer in a fry pan.
Crack the eggs and gently drop in the sauce. Cover immediately and cook until the top whites have set.
Sprinkle with cheese of choice.
Serve over toast or pasta.

Attachments

• Eggs-In-Purgatory1.jpg
    Eggs-In-Purgatory1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,285

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
my mom used to do this when i was a kid but she just served it with buttered italian bread to dip in the sauce and yolk. i have never seen or heard ANYONE else talk about or eat eggs this way!!

thank you for bringing back fond childhood memories of moms meals!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this for the first time ever tonight - it was great, Sass! I will definitely do this again!

Had a couple of Italian chicken sausages, sprinkled a few red pepper flakes, and would have loved a nice chunk of Italian bread, Peep, but I'm low-carbing.

Did have a slice of dry diet whole wheat toast and a salad, so I'm sated.

Lee

Attachments

• Eggs in Purgatory.JPG
    Eggs in Purgatory.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,166

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
full

Shakshuka is basically the same thing, though with a few more ingredients. It's a Persian/Moroccan dish and eggs in purgatory is more than likely a simplified, Americanized version. I doubled the sauce since Dogboa likes his sauce and I always make the kefta/meatballs too. So, you might want to halve the sauce recipe if you don't make the meatballs or add some other type of meat. There are quite a few recipes using nduja as well.

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 large jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 cans (400gr/14 oz) chopped tomatoes or 10 ripe medium-size tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt or more to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
4 eggs
2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

Make the kefta if using. Refrigerate.

Heat the oil in a large saute pan, add the onions and fresh peppers and sautee until onion is almost translucent, add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and next 6 ingredients. Stir to combine. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until mixture thickens into a nice sauce, about 25 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes. Move the meatballs around until you have 4 clear areas for the eggs. Break an egg into a small bowl, then slip the egg into 1 of the clear areas. Repeat for the remaining 3 eggs. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Egg yolks should still be runny.

With a large spoon, scoop out some sauce and meatballs and place into a large bowl. Gently scoop out an egg and place in the middle. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, and serve immediately with bread.

Kefta

1 lb/450 grams ground beef and/or lamb
1/2 large onion, grated
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Leaves of 4 mint sprigs, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste

Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Shape in about 1 inch/2.5 cm balls. I use a scoop as it's faster and makes them more even. Refrigerate.. Place into refrigerator until needed.

The original recipe came from http://www.mymoroccanfood.com/home/2015/3/30/shakshuka-meatballs-and-eggs-tagine. I made a few changes to the recipe for our tastes.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Printed out that whole thing, med - I love recipes that use lots of my fresh garden herbs, too!

I'm sure you made the bread, too, right?

Lee