Orzo, but .....

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Dunno how I never got into orzo before, but now's the time. I bought whole wheat, tri colored, and regular.

Plenty of recipes online but no real cookbook. Wonder why that market's been untapped.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm I love the stuff!

Great as a side dish, mixed with spinach and feta! Maybe toss in some toasted pine nuts!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
orzo pilaf is great! the salad bar has an orzo salad w/ various ingredients. they change, tho it's in a viniagrette, & oft involves veggies. i make a quick dinner of orzo in a broth of h20 & soup bases w/ seasonings.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It is also one of the super foods too.

It IS?????!!!

YAY!!!!

Note to self: buy more orzo!

Here's a dish I made with some wild chanterelles I picked, eggs and parm, with the orzo.

Lee

Attachments

• Chanterelles, eggs, orzo.JPG
    Chanterelles, eggs, orzo.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 286

Ian M.

Lee, that really looks tasty! I'll have some for breakfast!

A kid I went to cooking school with didn't seem to notice the difference between Orzo and Oozo - made up a pot of "whatever" and it didn't look or taste quite right but nobody really cared.......we were much to "happy" and were having way too much fun breaking plates and dancing around! Ooopa!!

Ian :blob_blue:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It's pretty pricey compared to the other types of pasta. I usually buy the tri-color.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a way I like to make it.

Baked Orzo with Peppers and Cheese

2 ts Salt
1/2 c Roasted Red Peppers; diced
1/3 c Green Chili Peppers; diced
1 c Sour cream
2 tb Butter; cut into sm. bits
1 c Orzo
1 c Monterey Jack Cheese; diced
1/2 c Parmesan Cheese; grated

Add 2 teaspoons salt into boiling water, add orzo; boil 10 to 12 minutes until tender; drain. Put orzo into lightly buttered dish with peppers, chilies and Monterey Jack. Spread sour cream evenly over top, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, dot with butter. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, top shelf of oven until golden puffy. Cool slightly.

Below is how it looks coming out of the oven and how I served it with short ribs. I posted this a while back but couldn't find it at the moment.

Attachments

• Orzo2.jpg
    Orzo2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Ribs2.jpg
    Ribs2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 291

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that sounds and looks absolutely WONDERFUL!!!

Lee

Embryodad

I love Orzo..

Can't eat it any more!

That and Pastina; or actually any small macaronies smaller than ditalini, I cannot eat without it getting somehow stuck in the back of my nasal passage. Chokey Chokey! Darn It! :ohmy:

It's weird; because I could eat rice with a lesser chance of that happening.
Maybe because they are slippery?? I D K ??:neutral: