My TV is dead, no picture.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's 10 or 12 years old. I've procrastinated replacing it. Now I have a good reason to. No picture at all. It's a sony 57" rear projection. It's been a good TV. This is the 1st ever problem with it. When I power it on I get sound for a little bit but no picture. Same for all tV inputs. I do see 10 quick blinks, then a pause and 10 more blinks. I looked up what the blinks mean and found this:

10 blinks = Check Q8014 and Q8013 for shorts, leakage, or bad solder connections on the " D" board. If the transistors are bad, check R8051 and IC8005, also on the "D" board. (these circuit references and their part numbers may vary between models but I strongly advise to get the D board checked and/or replaced if unrepairable at component level) - either way it could be expensive. Get a quote from an authorised service centre before going ahead.

While I might end up fixing this one, I'm ready to get a flat screen.
Any recommendations for a 55 to 60" flat screen for under 1500?

Plasma vs LCD? Thoughts?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We've had a 52" Phillips LCD for about 6 years. It's been good so far. I hear plasmas don't last as long as LCD. DD has had a 60 inch Sharp Aquos LCD for a couple of years with no complaints.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
According to PC Magazine, LED-backlit LCD TV's are supposed to be the best.

They aren't. Not even close.

Doc, the TV picture quality bargain of 2012 is the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st50/4505-6482_7-35118300.html

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?12921-Official-Panasonic-ST50-SeriesThread

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...tc-p50st50-plasma-hdtv-discussion-thread.html

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50ST50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334403647&sr=8-1[/ame]

Buzz

THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
www.NaplesDisplayCalibration.com

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
According to PC Magazine, LED-backlit LCD TV's are supposed to be the best.
Yeah, I've read that to, but LED's are the most expensive because of being so green. I was thinking I can get more bang for the buck with LCD or plasma ...but still trying to figure it all out.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Buzz. What about this Panasonic:
Panasonic TC-P55ST30 55" Class Viera Widescreen 3D Plasma HDTV - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 600Hz, HDMI, USB, Energy Star
for 1099 w/ free shipping
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=147066&CatId=3654

But then this reveiw left me wondering:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2375...ew_great_features_subpar_sound_and_image.html

The ST30 is the 2011 model and the ST50 is the new 2012. The ST50 is a LARGE improvement. Panasonic has finally got it right in many respects.

All those LCD reviews you read always seem to fail to mention the terrible shortcomings in screen uniformity due to the LED back lighting. The LEDs are located along the edges, not behind the screen, and produce all sorts of problems. With any kind of LCD screen, move 45 degrees off center and you lose a full 50% of both the contrast (which is the MOST important aspect of picture quality) and the color saturation. You lose NOTHING with plasma displays.

The ST50 is thee set to get in your price range. For the money it has no competitors with the exception of possibly the not yet released Samsung PNxxE7000 models but they will be no better than the ST50s. Count on it.

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
By the way, what the hell do PC magazines know about television sets?
:yum: Good point Buzz.

I've read plasmas are best in dark rooms. My family room where this will go is a well lit room. After the LCD vs LED education you posted you have me considering LED vs plasma. Another friend just researched and ended up getting the 60" Sharp Aquos LED. Best Buy has it listed for $1499 today. I'm seriously considering this one also.

Is the expected life of a plasma considerably shorter than LCD or LED TV's? What is the expected life span of LED TV's?

Here is what Dawg over on FF posted:
big dog said:
We just upgraded and I did a lot of searching. I was willing to part with more money than I did and ended up with a 60" Sharp Aquos with the new Quattron Quad Pixel Technology. Quattron LED LCD uses a four-color filter, adding the color Y (yellow) to the three colors of R (red), G (green) and B (blue).

It really matters where the TV is going to be as far as lighting and the selection you make. My son has a high end Panasonic plasma and he complimented how good the Sharp was when he saw it. When you see the yellows in the Sharp it's so much better than other LED's which helps in well lit rooms like our living room. IMO, if your gonna do a dark theater setting, the Sony plasma is the choice.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The comments concerning maximum light output were correct - but not any more. The 2011 Samsung plasmas and now the 2012 Panasonic ST50, GT50, and VT50 series have overcome this former shortcoming.

Sharp Quatron technology exists for one purpose - marketing. All TVs including Sharps produce colors via red, green, and blue. Why? Because those are the only colors the cones of your eyes can see. No matter how color enters a TV, the set's color decoder converts everything to RGB. The Sharp yellow pixels do nothing except make it impossible for the color decoder to do its job, including the decoder in 2011 $8500 MSRP 70" Elite.

Here is what is going on: sell, sell, sell. When you walk into BestBuy there is a wall of TVs all competing for your attention. The manufacturer's marketing departments long ago discovered that perceived brightness in pictures is what sells. As a result, from the factory, the whites are actually very blue as this makes the sets appear to be brighter. Then, in order to keep the blue out of skin tones which would make Caucasians look like Smurfs, they add what is known as "red push", a technique that intentionally corrupts the color decoder and does all sorts of weird (read bad) things to colors.

A very good example can readily be seen in the attached calibration report from a Panasonic ST30 I did last fall. You will see reference to ΔE (dE). The lower the number the more accurate the picture. In it's most basic sense, dEs lower than 3 are imperceptive to the human eye/brain combination versus perfect.

The TV consumer can't fix these problems. It takes meters and software and knowledge.

A good overview of calibration can be found here.

Attachments

• Schlapi ST30ReducedSize.pdf
    448.4 KB · Views: 115

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Forgot to answer your life span question - not a problem with any consumer television technology. You'll be on your second OLED display before any TV you buy today craps out.

OLED, coming soon, next month in fact with the introduction of the LG 55" followed probably in the 4th quarter by the Samsung 55" OLED. These will be the best picture quality of anything to date. The price for the early adopter will be high, somewhere between 5-10K, prices not yet released. Remember it was just a few years ago that the price of a 40" flat screen plasma was $25,000. In 3-4 more years plasma and LCD won't be found on the dealer's shelves except for low end units.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT info Buzz.
Still, I'm confused on the Plasma vs LED in a well lit room. Will plasma work okay in a room with 4 large windows plus a door with windows?
Which would you buy in that situation, plasma or LED ...if LED which brand?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT info Buzz.
Still, I'm confused on the Plasma vs LED in a well lit room. Will plasma work okay in a room with 4 large windows plus a door with windows?
Which would you buy in that situation, plasma or LED ...if LED which brand?

I have a 2011 Samsung D8000 plasma in my living room with 2 large picture windows and sliding glass doors under the Florida sunshine. It is easily bright enough but if you feel for some reason that you need to get an LCD the best picture quality anywhere near your price range would be the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D7000-55-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B004O6MN7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334416227&sr=8-3"]Samsung D7000[/ame]

The reason I push the Panny ST50 plasma so hard is Black Level, the main component of Contrast (dynamic range), which is by far the largest component of picture quality. It's a huge difference and can NEVER be seen in a retail store environment, not even in BestBuy darkened Magnolia rooms because the TV's are not calibrated for any kind of objective comparison.

Speaking of BestBuy, do NOT suck for their $200 calibration service. Most of their "calibrators" don't have a clue. Buy a descent TV and in five weeks on my way to Wisconsin for the summer I'll give you a $400 professional calibration for the cost of a motel room. They have to accept small dogs. :yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome offer Buzz!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all your thoughts on this. :tiphat:
I'll keep you posted. I have some shopping to do now.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't wait a month. I hate to wait another day. :yum:
Best buy has the Panasonic you were talking about in a 55" right in my price range. Leaning towards driving to get it later today. It's 1 1/2 hour each way but better than waiting for one to be shipped.

I would like to meet you and your wife Buzz (and your cutie pie puppy). No motels / hotels close by as I'm in the sticks but we have room in the house and would be happy to put you up right here. If you prefer a hotel I can get you one of those but it will be 25 minutes or so away.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Doc, if you DO decide to replace your old Sony projection TV, Try to stick with eiother a Sony, Panasonic or a Toshiba.

Those are the better brands. Never buy RCA!! That brand is crap.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on flat screen TV's.
We drove to Best Buy last night and purchased a ST50 55" Panasonic Plasma TV. 600Hz refresh!!! :eek: I didn't know refresh ever got that fast (the gory details: Panasonic - VIERA 55" Class - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV Model: TC-P55ST50 ) Since we had a rear projection TV prior to this we also needed a stand for the TV. We have a Great Dane who likes to mosey back and forth in front of the TV so we had hopes of getting the TV screen a little higher than the rear projection TV used to be. Best Buy to the rescue. They had a kewl stand with a rear post that would raise the TV up just far enough so that our 34" tall Dane won't be a problem when she decides to pace. :biggrin:

Overall the picture of this new TV is awesome, and even looks great in the daytime well lit room. Evidently the rumors I had heard about plasma TV's and well lit rooms is not entirely accurate. I see details in the black areas that I've never seen before. Very kewl. :biggrin:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...47672&id=1218582230738#tabbed-customerreviews

Shermie

Site Supporter
You welcome, Doc!

Enjoy your new flat screen!! Your old TV would have more than likely costed you more than the price of a new one the same size!!

You chose a Panasonic, that's good! My regular TV was a 27" Panasonic. had it for 13 years before I began having trouble with it. The picture tube was on its way out. Had to keep slapping the side of the cabinet to bring the picture back. Until one day, I said; Enough of this crap!!

That's when I bought the 26-inch Sony Bravia flat screen. Been happy with it ever since!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had Sony's since the early 90's. They have always worked great, above my expectations. I do think quite a few brands have caught up with Sony's quality, and some have passed Sony. What I don't know for sure if any of them will have the lasting power my Sony's have had. Time will tell.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've had Sony's since the early 90's. They have always worked great, above my expectations. I do think quite a few brands have caught up with Sony's quality, and some have passed Sony. What I don't know for sure if any of them will have the lasting power my Sony's have had. Time will tell.

All of which brings to mind, the idea of shopping around and doing your homework so that you don't end up buying a piece of crap for a TV and then having it break down pre-maturely.

I trust ony Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba. Guess I'm old school. :biggrin: