Dough tasting?

Derek

Banned
You know how you taste your food while your cooking it to get the right amount of each ingredients? Well can you taste a little of your bread dough? or Pizza dough with out any ill effect?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't think I'd want to be tasting raw dough...not that it's necessarily bad for you but just would'nt taste good and wouldn't taste anything like the finished product so I don't think it would do any good. Just find a good recipe and follow it. JoeV has tons of good recipes.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
What are you going to do if you don't like how it tastes? Bread dough is not chicken soup that can be adjusted for flavor with a little of this and a little of that. Bread's flavor develops over time, so when it enters its first proof it will have a different flavor than at the second proof or even the third proof (not for enriched doughs).

Mommy

this is my first post.
i can answer this.
i taste my bread dough and like the flaovre of it.
it lets me know if i need more salt or sugrar too

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
this is my first post.
i can answer this.
i taste my bread dough and like the flaovre of it.
it lets me know if i need more salt or sugrar too

This is where working from established recipes and weighing ingredients instead of using volume measurements will give you repeatability in your breads. I don't know any bread bakers that taste their dough, except for Mommy who has just admitted that she does. Also, if you learn the basics of Baker's Percentages for various bread recipes, you can get fairly close to the end taste you're after when you are experimenting with a new recipe. For me, I will continue to taste my bread when it is finished baking, and adjust the ingredients in the NEXT loaf I make, and make notes on my recipes until I'm happy with the final taste. I then rework my recipes and put them in my binder (I NEVER start baking without having my recipe in front of me, because I'm old and forgetful). I would suggest buying some good reference books on bread making, but I think you enjoy doing this by the seat of your pants, which obviously is cheaper.:wink: