I Love Cornbread

AllenOK

Sour Cream Banana Bread

I won't quite call this one mine. I do remember that I looked at some kind of recipe for a sour cream quick bread, and adapted it for this.

This is a work IN PROGRESS! I'm still not happy with the results. It tastes great, but, because there's just a little to much batter in the pan, it takes a little longer to bake, and the top usually burns a bit. I tried reducing the quantity, but it didn't work. Next time, I'll just split it into two loaves, but, that will affect the baking time.

Sour Cream Banana Bread
Yields: 1 really big loaf

½ c butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 ½ c flour
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
1 c mashed bananas
½ c nuts, chopped
½ c sour cream or plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark pans). Grease a loaf pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, then set aside. Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Add dry ingredients; mix until just blended. DO NOT OVERMIX. Mix in bananas, nuts, and sour cream until just blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great, but since I am a beginner at baking I will wait to see how your next time around turns out.
Maybe Susan and some of our other bakers will come along and ya'll can work it out so I can enjoy it, LOL!
Thanks!

AllenOK

Hey, don't feel bad. I dont' claim to be a baker either. My baking "urges" come and go, usually around the Holidays.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sweet Potato Muffins

Not sure if this is in the right place, but it is not a dessert but rather a replacement to rolls and goes especially good with BBQ or Soul Food:

SWEET POTATO MUFFINS

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

2 cups wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups sweet potato, peeled, cooked, and mashed

Preheat the oven to 350F/gas mark 4
Oil 12 large muffin cups

In large bowl whisk together the sugar, honey, vanilla, eggs and apple sauce. In a separate large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and sweet potato. Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture mixing as you do so., Continue to mix well then stir in the raisins.

Spoon batter into muffin tins so they are about 2/3 full, and bake for 25-30 minutes.

This is as close as I can come to the ones we had at the Peach Tree in KC. Theirs was still way moister than ours. If anyone has suggestions, I am open. This is a first trial recipe and not a TNT, so bare that in mind.
Thanks!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
BBQ Bombs

The easiest way to make these is to use ready-to-eat shredded barbecue meat. But for the better bombs, use some tender brisket or pulled pork left over from that last barbecue.

Recipe #1
One half pound shredded beef or pork
Two ten-count canned biscuits
Barbecue sauce

Recipe #2 (instructions at end)
One half pound pkg of lil smokies
Two ten-count canned biscuits
cheddar or pepperjack cheese

Start preheating the grill to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the biscuits from the cans and cut in half. Shape the halves into rounds (kind of like mini-pizzas) about 1/8 inch thick.

Combine the shredded meat with a little barbecue sauce...Place a tablespoon or so of the meat onto the center of the biscuit round. Fold the dough around the shredded bbq meat, forming a little pocket. Pinch the edges together.
Place the BBQ bombs on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pop the baking sheet into the preheated grill. Use the indirect grilling method...the burner directly under the pan needs to be off, and the burner(s) to the side(s) are left on.
Grill-bake for 10 minutes, or until the biscuit dough has lightly browned. Serve with extra bbq sauce for dipping.

Recipe #2

give the little smokies a quick fry in a pan, give them some color. flatten out biscuits, add smokie,sliver of cheese, fold like a small ravioli or pierogy..bake or grill like above instructions. serve with sauce of your choice

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So you are using a biscuit to make a kind of hot pocked with shredded beef or pork in it and cheese? That sounds real good! And way better than those frozen hot pockets with BBQ beef in em!!

Thanks!

Deelady

Blue Cheese Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits

Blue Cheese Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits

Tender biscuits that are rich and flavorful.
Makes 8

2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour or whole grain pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
Ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add shortening; using fingertips, rub in until coarse crumbs form. Mix in 3/4 cup cheese, chives, and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Make well in center; add 1 cup buttermilk and stir until dough forms, gradually mixing in dry ingredients.
Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead gently until combined, about 5 turns. Pat dough into 1-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 8 squares. Transfer squares to baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon buttermilk. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Sprinkle with pepper. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.) Bake biscuits until golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great, but is this fool proof?? Or in other words Mav proof? LOL I never seem to have luck with biscuits, they always come out like hockey pucks... in fact I was thinking of painting them black and shipping them to Canada!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Pie Susan's Famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pie Susan's Famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I have noticed that when it comes to banana bread or banana cake, part of the problem is that the bananas are mashed until they are liquified (unless the recipe calls for that). If the bananas are over mashed, it usually takes the cake or bread forever to bake, and the outside gets hard and overly browned while the inside is uncooked. As for the chocolate chips, I add them at the last moment. It is too good. Instead of putting those overripe bananas in the fridge or freezer--I whip up these banana breads and stick them in the freezer for when someone feels like a nosh and there is nothing else in the house.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](A variation of the old Settlement Cookbook's Banana Cake 1951 edition).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dairy) Yield 3 mini loaves or double the recipe and make 3 8" loaves and bake them for 60 to 65 minutes. The recipe takes 15 minutes to whip up without including baking time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 cup sour cream[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 teaspoon baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup sweet butter[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 1/4 cups sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 large or extra large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pinch of salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup coarsely mashed bananas (about 2 small)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup chocolate chips (6 oz. pkg.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stir together the sour cream and the baking soda and set aside. (It will start to get all bubbly, that is good.) Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and baking soda mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the dry ingredients are just blended. Do not overmix. Divide the mixture between 3 greased mini-loaf pans (6" x 3" x 2") and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow loaves to cool for 15 minutes, and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]then, remove the breads from the pans and continue to cool on a rack.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

babe

sounds good, but to much sugar for me. the large amount suggests it needs the sugar for structure. some times i can add splenda brown to banana bread but not in that large of an amount. will try just chopping the bananas though.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great, but like Babe I have to watch my sugar intake. Small pieces only for me... ok yea right like that will happen! LOL.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Re: Pie Susan's Famous Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

With my mom when I was watching her diet and counting carbs, I noticed that when she walked a bit to exercise, it would lower her blood sugar and allow her a treat every now and then. So, that is what we did.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter

it sounds very nice but i don't have any loaf pans. I wonder how it'd fit in a 9 by 13 pan ?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

it sounds very nice but i don't have any loaf pans. I wonder how it'd fit in a 9 by 13 pan ?

Grease the 9 by 13 pan well, and bake it in a moderate oven. (350 degrees F). You will have to check for doneness. Without the chocolate chips, this is a recipe from 1951 version of The Settlement Cookbook. It is a recipe my mom would make and frost with a sweet butter, powdered sugar, cococa, milk and vanilla frosting that she eyeballed in terms of quantity.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Cloud Biscuits

3/4 cup shortening, chilled
4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk, cold
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter

Angel%20Biscuits.jpg

Preheat oven to 450 F.

In large bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder

Cut shortening into mixture with pastry blender until size of peas.

Whip egg in bowl.

Add buttermilk and egg to dry ingredients and stir until it holds together. Do not overwork.

Turn out onto a floured surface. Roll 1 inch thick and cut out with cutter.

Place on ungreased sheet pan about 1 inch apart and brush with melted butter (be generous)

Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Carrot Cheesecake Muffins

Filling
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp finely grated orange rind

BATTER
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrated
1/2 cup carnation evaporated milk
1 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 1/4 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnut chopped Opt.
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

FILLING
cream the cream cheese, sugar and orange rind together in small bowl until smooth set aside

BATTER
Cream margarine and brown sugar together until light, Beat in eggs, juice concentrated and evaporated milk. Stir in orange rind, carrots, raisins and nuts. Mix well.

Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon , add to carrots mixture. Stir just until moistened.

Spoon 2 tbsp batter into each greased or paper lined muffin cups.

Spoon 1 tbsp of cream cheese mixture on top. Cover with remaining batter.

Bake at 350F for 15-20 min or until top spring back when lightly touched

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Lemon-Thyme Biscuits

preheat oven to 400*F

2 cups A.P.flour
3 tbl sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbl fresh,chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter cut into 1/4" pieces
3/4 buttermilk
grated zest of 2 lemons

mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.

cut in the butter. then stir in buttermilk until a dough forms.

using a large ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop biscuits onto a prepared baking sheet(silpat or parchment paper), spacing 2" apart.

bake 13-15 minutes until golden brown, serve warm

substitute other herbs for such as rosemary,chives or basil for the thyme.

Deelady

Re: Lemon-Thyme Biscuits

That sounds so tasty!! Do you have a pic somewhere for those or know where there might be a pic??
We had some rosemary ones not too long ago in a fancy schmancy restraunt we went to and they just melted in your mouth!!! I promised my fiance I would learn to make them the next time he is home!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i dont have a picture of them but they will melt away in your mouth with the amount of butter and buttermilk in them..lol

these dont look like your traditional biscuit as they are a moist drop biscuit..oh hell let me look again..lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

these are very similar to what they look like

not my picture but you get the idea

IMG_0532.JPG

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
St. Patrick's Day Bread with Irish Whiskey Glaze

St. Patrick's Day Bread with Irish Whiskey Glaze
Recipe based on one by Renny Darling
Makes 3 mini loaves

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup good Irish whiskey
1/3 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup dark raisins
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, whiskey, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until moistened but do not overmix.
Divide the quickbread batter into 3 greased mini-loaf foil pans (6x3x2-") and bake in a 325 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes and then remove from the pans and let cool on racks.
When, the loaves are cool, drizzle the tops with the following Irish Whiskey Glaze.

Irish Whiskey Glaze
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon Irish Whiskey
1 Tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon melted butter
2/3 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

Directions:
Stir together all the ingredients until well mixed and drizzle on top of the three mini loaves.

Note: This sweet bread can be varied by using Bourbon, Cognac or Sherry and currants, glaceed fruits and many different nuts can be substituted as well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: St. Patrick's Day Bread with Irish Whiskey Glaze

Susan, that looks wonderful!

Lee