Posole Rojo with Chicken (easy!)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got this recipe from my supermarket's magazine.

I only used half of the chili mix and that was spicy enough for me (and now I have the other half frozen to make this again). I simmered it for a half hour, to reduce it a little.

Topped with shredded Mexican cheese, cilantro and green onions.

Delicious!

Lee

Pozole Rojo with Chicken (easy!)

Ingredients

• 1 (3 oz) pkg dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 bunch green onions, roughly cut up
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 (15 oz) cans white hominy, drained
  • 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 tsp sugar
Steps
  1. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the chilies and water. Cover with vented plastic and microwave 2 min. Let stand 5 min.
  2. To a blender, add the chilies and water along with the green onions. Blend until smooth.
  3. In a large saucepot, heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic and cumin. Cook 2 min., stirring often. Add the broth, hominy, chicken, chili mixture, and sugar. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste.
Tips
Garnish with thinly sliced radishes and finely chopped jalapeños for fresh crunch.
Posole 1.JPG
Posole 2.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Pozole Rojo with Chicken (easy!)

Had this for dinner again tonight, with a bunch of toppings. Excellent!

Definitely the best posole that I've made!

Lee
posole.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This time I made the pozole with leftover baked chicken breasts and with some huge dried corn kernels that I found in the Asian supermarket. A lot more time soaking and simmering the corn than using canned hominy, but I wanted to try it.

Really good and interesting texture!

Lee

Hominy package.JPG

Hominy soaking.JPG

Hominy cooked.JPG

Pozole in pot.JPG

Pozole plated.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Once you make the sauce, you just use what you like by taste, and freeze the rest. It makes so much, and I only like mild heat, that I thaw and use maybe four times.

SO easy and good on a cold autumn night! Had it tonight with Tostitos Scoops to dip.

Lee

Posole.JPG