chuck roast & testing going on the mini smoker

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i really want my cable for my camera so i can charge it..sorry the photos kinda suck, taking them with my iphone.

the smoke ring on this was such a nice red/maroon color that my phone just doesnt pick up. the chuck had a very mild smoke flavor and pulled easily. i smoke until approx 165*, foiled it & then continue to cook it until it reaches 210*

was testing the mini today to see how long i could go on a basket of lump...so far she is still holding temps almost eight hours later
this is right from start to where i am now..

cooking on top rack today

after an hour and half
top grate - 275*F
bottom - 295*F

2nd hour
top grate - 250*F
bottom - 275*F

3rd hour - added a chuck roast
top grate - 275*F
bottom - 274*F

4th hour
top grate - 250*F
bottom - 250*F

4 1/2 hours heat spike
top grate - 275*F
bottom - 300*F

5th hour
top grate - 275*F
bottom - 295*F

charcoal left after 5 hours..chuck at approx 150*F

27wymfm.jpg

6th hour(foiled chuck)
top grate - 270*F
bottom - 290*F

7th hour (meat 204*)
top grate - 225*F
bottom - 250*F

took meat off shortly there after

2ue7mvk.jpg

wk1c2f.jpg

24d0ua0.jpg

8th hour
top grate - ?
bottom grate - ?

i am going to check the temps again in half an hour when the 8th hour is up but i am sure the mini is either hotter or out because i had a heat spike just after taking out the chuckie.. i can easily do pork butt of size on this knowing that i would have to add some more charcoal if it got past a 10 hour cook.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
8th hour
top grate 175*
bottom grate 225*

i still had the vents open only about 1/4 of the way...there is probably still around 1/4 charcoal of what i started with, if i moved them around i could get temps back up and continue...a long cook is without a doubt possible on this cooker. i dont think i even used 3lbs to get to 8 hours..i filled it up without packing it tighly to the bottom of the lip of the smokey joe. i will take pictures tomorrow of exactly how much charcoal is left.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'll make you a deal.

I don't know anything about smoking. It's totally foreign language to me.

You come here and teach me, and I'll cook and feed you anything you want while you're here.

:alc:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Fascinating results and great data. That little rig is more efficient than even I was hoping for. Suprising since the body insert is aluminum. I'm betting the engine paint is playing a role. Awesome. I'm building one. :thumb:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'll make you a deal.

I don't know anything about smoking. It's totally foreign language to me.

You come here and teach me, and I'll cook and feed you anything you want while you're here.

:alc:

i just might take you up on that offer..lol

i will be in florida for a few weeks starting the middle of January...my smoker is portable(why i built it) and can cook anywhere with it..lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Fascinating results and great data. That little rig is more efficient than even I was hoping for. Suprising since the body insert is aluminum. I'm betting the engine paint is playing a role. Awesome. I'm building one. :thumb:

i am surprised at how well it holds heat as well...the lid from the smokey joe fits so tightly that sometimes you have to "help" it off....most times there is enough intake air coming in that it you dont even have to open the intakes at all.. i run the vents on the top full open at all times.

i am more than happy since i have had store bought ones burn way more fuel, cook the same amount of food and cost way more.

like any other cooker, you have to learn her ways..once you cook on it a few times, it gets easier..i did add a charcoal basket to it but honestly i dont believe that helped or hurt it anyway..i just did it because i could..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The 5 hour shot is mind blowing. Is that the originally belly of coals, or have you added to it. It's hard to believe that first stock lasted 5 hours and 70% isn't even burning yet.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
The 5 hour shot is mind blowing. Is that the originally belly of coals, or have you added to it. It's hard to believe that first stock lasted 5 hours and 70% isn't even burning yet.

i never added any coals...that was the experiment today, see how long i could get from one load

this is the charcoal that is left...i couldnt wait until tomorrow..lol

a44c2d.jpg

GrillinFool

Bam, finally got a chance to check the last few posts you put up from home where I can see the pictures. My company blocks all photo sharing sites. Dude, you put out some seriously good Q. Some of the best I've seen.... You sir are an aficionado. Props to you sir!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Bam, finally got a chance to check the last few posts you put up from home where I can see the pictures. My company blocks all photo sharing sites. Dude, you put out some seriously good Q. Some of the best I've seen.... You sir are an aficionado. Props to you sir!!

Agreed. Bam rocks. He always takes it to the next level. I love his builds. Very creative, and as it turns out, darn efficient. Got to build some of these myself! :clap:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

thanks alot..the means alot from you.. you are a grilling fool..no pun intended..lol

if i was in your area i would have been interested in your Q contest

Agreed. Bam rocks. He always takes it to the next level. I love his builds. Very creative, and as it turns out, darn efficient. Got to build some of these myself! :clap:

brother they are so effecient...if i could find a way to build these,ship them for cheap i would do it. i know i can get cheap parts at academy for them but the biggest cost is that tamale pot.

let me ponder on it a day or two and do some researching...see if walmart will give me a deal if i buy 10 pots or something

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
thanks alot..the means alot from you.. you are a grilling fool..no pun intended..lol

if i was in your area i would have been interested in your Q contest

brother they are so effecient...if i could find a way to build these,ship them for cheap i would do it. i know i can get cheap parts at academy for them but the biggest cost is that tamale pot.

let me ponder on it a day or two and do some researching...see if walmart will give me a deal if i buy 10 pots or something

If you figure out to wholesale this on the cheap, put me down for the first three you build! Serioulsy!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
well i found the pots cheaper at target but target here is out of them BUT walmart has the exact same pots and they will price match at least...

original price was 24.97 at walmart but target has them for 19.99.
cheapest for shipping is $10 for USPS ground shipping.. days

may have to build you one anyways..just to build another one..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's still a good price. I was looking at that pot online for 34.99 which is 10 bucks more than I paid for the Smokey Joe new! :lol: