Has anyone every deep-fried a turkey before?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sadly, I didn't get the chance to try some of my nephew's deep fried turkey.

He was way to busy with getting up early in the morning to go train his troop in the Marines, going to work afterwards and when he came home, he was too tired.

He said that the next time that we come down, he'll do one.

But my great nephews and great niece kept us entertained, especially the 2nd child!! He did some cooking & baking. He likes to eat as well (what kid doesn't?).

He's the chubby one and the biggest child in their family. He knows about eating certain things in moderation. Even though he's big, he's still his jolly, silly and playful self!!

Can't wait to see them all again!! :clap:

I think I'll deep fry some turkey wings though in the small deep fryer soon! :applause:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You're all grease lovers. LOLOL

Mama said all right here.

That scared me away and is why the south is obese with heart conditions more then any other place in the world. It's that little extra that'll do it to ya.
Of course it just isn't the turkey, it's the eggs, bacon, biscuits, chicken, okra, pork chops, hamburger steak, bread, ice cream, etc., etc., etc. that gets eaten everyday that adds up.
The south is famous for frying most everything.
No thank you, I'm more health conscious then that.

Isn't THAT interesting?!

Did you NOT ask me in another cooking forum for a recipe for a pork shoulder?

Does that not have tons of fat on and in it? So deep fried turkey is to greasy and fattening to eat, but a pork shoulder is not?

My mom & dad were from the South, and yes, they fried lots of stuff. So what. We ate fried foods as kids. So what.

My dear late brother's eldest son is married to a big woman. So what. His 2nd son is chubby. So what. He likes to eat, cook & bake, and he enjoys doing it because he wants to follow in my footsteps. So what.

Quit hating on the foods that some of us like to eat, please. If you don't like them, that is fine. But you should not bash us because we do. And heart disease mainly comes from inheritance, not just from eating fatty foods, even though it does not prove healthy for some. :bounce:

Last edited:

CharlieD

I did last year, but it was so cold and windy fire kept going out, some parts of it was over oozed and some were ok. Also seasoning was nothing to write home about even though I seasoned it with dry rob a day and a half before. All in all it was not a successes.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I did last year, but it was so cold and windy fire kept going out, some parts of it was over oozed and some were ok. Also seasoning was nothing to write home about even though I seasoned it with dry rob a day and a half before. All in all it was not a successes.

Try it again, but in calmer warm dry weather next time. Or get an indoor unit that you can safely use indoors with no fire.

Mine is an indoor one. I've only used it once though.

They DO make them now that use only HALF the amount of oil that they USED to use.

Waring makes one that looks like a regular size deep fryer, but instead of the turkey just sitting in the hot oil, the unit ROTATES it like a rotisserie does. :cooking:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what it looks like. :eating2:

Attachments

• Waring Turkey Fryer.jpg
    Waring Turkey Fryer.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 111

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hmmm I like the way you are thinking Shermie. For just the two of us we could easily do some turkey parts in the little deep frier. :thumb: Good idea. :D

I got some turkey drumsticks and wings last week, Doc, and put them up in the freezer. I let them freeze up in the original packaging, then I remove them from that and vacuum-sealed them to keep out damaging air that can cause freezer burn and drying out.

I plan to get a turkey breast next month. This way, I can use the regular size deep fryer to do them in!

Smart thinking! I won't be stuck with all that turkey to have to eat to keep it from spoiling, which could take too long!! :weber:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I've seen this in Sam's club. Don't feel like buying another toy I will use only once a year. It seems like we eat turkey only once a year, for thanksgiving, though I actually like it.

Yeah, the one that I bought, I only used it once, also.

Even though I like it, I found out that too much oil is needed to deep-fry a turkey! Takes at least 3 or more gallons of oil to use it, so I don't bother deep-frying a whole turkey any more.

I WILL however, try using my REGULAR size Waring Deep fryer (below) to deep-fry turkey PARTS instead next time that I want deep-fried turkey. :eating2:

Attachments

• Waring Pro Deep Fryer.jpg
    Waring Pro Deep Fryer.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 103

Shermie

Site Supporter
Looks like the turkey in the fryer has those elastic bands on it to help keep the wings and legs from flapping.

I think I'll get some, but for roasting whole chickens in the rotisserie only. To keep the wings and legs from flapping. :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks.

I DO have cooking twine, but it's such a pain in the neck trying to truss meat.