Which Outdoor Cooking Device????

You Can only choose ONE

• Total voters

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
If you can only..... ONLY.... have just one device, which one would it be and why? :w00t: OH! And do you have a favorite brand?
Annnnnd any photos of YOUR grill would be cool :brows:

855-63065-hero.jpg

ColemanGrill.jpg

lightingcoals.jpg

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Sorry, but that would be like asking me which one of my kids would I give up... :sad:

dsc0014zf9.jpg

nc011333.jpg

42831046123560218143952.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I love both my charcoal smoker and my charcoal grill, but if I could only have one I'd choose the grill because if I had to, I could still smoke on it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love both my charcoal smoker and my charcoal grill, but if I could only have one I'd choose the grill because if I had to, I could still smoke on it.

Ditto, Vera. The charcoal kettle is more versatile than the smokers, and there is no comparison with the flavor of food cooked over charcoal and gas.

Looks as if the only photo I have on hand of my Weber kettle is below. It's the yellow Homer Simpson version, and has a decal of Homer in a chef's hat on the lid. I REALLY love that kettle!

In the photo, the kettle is fitted with a collar for the rotisserie.

Lee

twowsmsandkettlegoing.jpg

FryBoy

I like my Ducane Meridian MDBQ-42 natural gas grill (like the one in the photo below) mainly for its convenience -- huge grilling surface (42" x 30"), fast to start, easy to adjust from smelting iron to long, slow cooking, excellent rotisserie. Very happy with the results with chicken, fish, shrimp, beef, lamb, pork, and veggies.

Used to have a large Weber, and I liked it, too, but it's more hassle, and I can get just as good results on the gas. I learned to grill over natural wood fires, and that's good, too, but even more of a hassle and more difficult to control. Not into smoking.

Showcase_DucMer_MDBQ42.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Un, you have a great set-up there, and a lovely yard! Great shots of food and YOU!

Geez, I have never been able to get a sear like that on scallops!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I marked a gas grille but I also have a gas smoker. I use both about equally too though for different things. I have a Char Broil gas grill, Turkey Fryer/Craw Fish boiler and a Smokey Hollow smoker.

Attachments

• Char Broil Advantage Series Gas Grill.jpg
    Char Broil Advantage Series Gas Grill.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 219
  • outdoor_stove.jpg
    outdoor_stove.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 225

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If I could only have one, it would be a small or medium green egg. But I don't have one. Our gas grill bit the dust, so right now we're using a charcoal grill. I'm going to start looking for a used egg.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Cooksie, try to find a "large" - that's only one 18 inch grate. Smaller than that is very limiting to cook on.

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have a gas grill that only my husband uses. (I have a hard enough time trying to cook in the oven.) But if I was to choose something - I'd have what Warren's having! Those eggs are beautiful.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok now that i am back on my laptop, i will post the picture of the new one i am going to buy

it is a Char Grill Duo with a side firebox
char_griller_duo.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That looks like a nice set-up, Bams. Wayyyy too big for us though.

After reading all this the other day, I started doing a little research on the big green egg. :ohmy: There's a whole "egg society" out there. They have get-togethers all over the US where the "egg heads" take their eggs and have cook-offs. From what I've read you can get a discounted egg that has only been used once (that I guess have been provided by the bge manufacturer) after some of the cookoffs. I would surely love to find a used egg, but I think once you get one, you don't let it go. Our patio is small, and I think an egg in a custom stand would work very well. Still wishing, still looking.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
That looks like a nice set-up, Bams. Wayyyy too big for us though.

After reading all this the other day, I started doing a little research on the big green egg. :ohmy: There's a whole "egg society" out there. They have get-togethers all over the US where the "egg heads" take their eggs and have cook-offs. From what I've read you can get a discounted egg that has only been used once (that I guess have been provided by the bge manufacturer) after some of the cookoffs. I would surely love to find a used egg, but I think once you get one, you don't let it go. Our patio is small, and I think an egg in a custom stand would work very well. Still wishing, still looking.

you can also find one on craigslist once and awhile..there are different size eggs as well.. got a couple of buddies that found them on CL that only needed minimal work to get operating up to par..

keep searching, you will find one.. now if you cant get an egg, you may want to check into the Bubba Keg..its the same basic idea but there is no risk of breaking it like you would an egg.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
you can also find one on craigslist once and awhile..there are different size eggs as well.. got a couple of buddies that found them on CL that only needed minimal work to get operating up to par..

keep searching, you will find one.. now if you cant get an egg, you may want to check into the Bubba Keg..its the same basic idea but there is no risk of breaking it like you would an egg.

Just read about the Bubba Keg and it does sound like a good alternative...cheaper too! Thanks for the tips.

dolcay

gas grill is the way to go i think. its healthier because you dont get the charcoal poison on your food, and its way easier to clean and set up. You can be cooking in 5 minutes within firing up a gas grill.

i like webber grills, because they have a cast iron grilling rack that will last you forever.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Charcoal poison, dolcay?

Could you expand on that?

Lee

dolcay

"According to the National Cancer Institute, grilled meat contains
potent carcinogens called heterocyclic aromatic amines that form when
amino acids in meat and creatine, a chemical in muscle tissue, are
heated together at temperatures exceeding 212F. Smoked meat is also
contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, another carcinogen
created when fat from meat drips onto hot coals and sends smoke back up
into the meat. In addition, cooking meat over charcoal emits
air-polluting compounds including hydrocarbons, furans, steroids, and
pesticide residues. Soyfoods, vegetables, and fruit, which don't form
carcinogens when grilled, are much safer choices for summer cookouts."

http://www.fatfree.com/archive/1997/jun/msg00394.html

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
"According to the National Cancer Institute, grilled meat contains
potent carcinogens called heterocyclic aromatic amines that form when
amino acids in meat and creatine, a chemical in muscle tissue, are
heated together at temperatures exceeding 212F. Smoked meat is also
contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, another carcinogen
created when fat from meat drips onto hot coals and sends smoke back up
into the meat. In addition, cooking meat over charcoal emits
air-polluting compounds including hydrocarbons, furans, steroids, and
pesticide residues. Soyfoods, vegetables, and fruit, which don't form
carcinogens when grilled, are much safer choices for summer cookouts."

http://www.fatfree.com/archive/1997/jun/msg00394.html

That's correct, but the you can get the same thing from a gas grill. The meat is charred, and the fat drips and smokes just like on a charcoal grill.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
That's spooky, dolcay. It won't stop me from BBQing but it does give information worth thinking about. I guess my smoking meat with propane isn't as bad as using a charcoal smoker but still....

dolcay

yea i know, dont get me wrong, i much prefer charcoal grills. it definitely adds more flavor. I know gas grills are also not the healthiest, but i think its the lesser of two evils. One thing to also make sure is that all the charcoal is red hot before starting cooking. If you cook while some of the charcoal is still black, that is definitely not good for you...

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I knew about this, too. It's the charred, blackened areas that are the worst. (And that taste the best. LOL)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dolcay, thank you for posting that info - I guess I was just reacting to your use of the word "poison", when you were talking about charcoal.

If I am remembering correctly, the danger is in cooking meat over high heat in almost ANY way, including pan-frying and in the oven.

I've also read that charcoal grills are no more harmful than gas grills regarding this. And, in fact, a charcoal SMOKER is safer, because the cooking temp is lower and longer. Plus, my smoker has a water pan that prevents fat from dripping onto the coals and burning.

Moderation is key. I don't know how much grilled meat one has to eat to be hazardous, but I have them maybe once or twice a week in the summer; almost never in the other 3 seasons. I'd say that's eating grilled meat in moderation. ;)

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Jeez, look at all those fancy setups! LOL.

This was easy for me to answer as right now I have only one outdoor cooking device:
A charcoal Weber grill!

And yes, on charcoal always make sure the coals are red hot, you do not want to cook when there are still black coals present.

dolcay

i used to live in south africa, and the weather there is always sunny and warm. people always have barbeques and eat meat constantly. this is why they have one of the highest rates of heart problems in the world. moderation is definitely key!