Rocky Road Cheesecake Deluxe

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Rocky Road Cheesecake Deluxe
based on a recipe from 365 Great Chocolate Desserts by Natalie Haughton
Serves 8-10 (very generous portions, I serve more)
Chocolate Wafer Crust:
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (I use the entire package of Nabisco Famous Wafers)
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 Tablespoons sweet butter, melted
Directions:
Mix together cookie crumbs, sugar and butter, and then, press into the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 9-inch springform pan.
Cheesecake:
Ingredients:
1 (9-inch) Chocolate Wafer Crust
2 (8 ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (9 ounces), melted and cooled
Rocky Road Topping (recipe follows)
1 cup chopped toasted almonds

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Then beat in the eggs just until they are incorporated. On slow speed, mix in the melted chocolate until well blended.
Spread the filling into the chocolate wafer crust and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the cheesecake is set. Let the cheesecake cool. Then, refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Prior to removing the cheesecake from the refrigerator, make the rocky road topping.
Rocky Road Topping
Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
1-1/3 cups plus 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon sweet butter
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup shredded coconut
3 to 3-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup toasted almonds

Directions:
In a double boiler combine cream and 1-1/3 cups chocolate chips and stir until melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer 1 cup of the chocolate to a small bowl and set aside remainder. While still hot, add butter and corn syrup to chocolate mixture in small bowl and stir until smooth. Refrigerate this portion until thickened to spreading consistency, which will be about 20 to 25 minutes. Reserve to use for spreading on top and sides of cake.
Place the remaining chocolate mixture in a 2-quart bowl and add the coconut, mini ature marshmallows, almonds and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Mix well.
Spoon the Rocky Road Topping over the cheesecake, mounding the center higher than the sides. Refrigerate the cheesecake until firm. This will take about 2 hours. Run a sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen the cheesecake or follow my directions in my notes. Spread the top and sides of the cheesecake with the reserved chocolate from the Rocky Road topping recipe. Press almonds lightly onto sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving time.
My notes:
I have found that Philadephia, Breakstone or Friendship brands cream cheese make the best cheesecakes. Once, I used a store brand and the cheesecake did not turn out properly.
I beat the ingredients well before the eggs are added. One does not want to whip a lot of air into the cream cheese mixture after the eggs are added. Then, I add the chocolate and mix until well blended. This is easier to do if the cream cheese has been left out of the refrigerator and is at room temperature.
The easiest way to unmold the cheesecake is to wrap a very hot towel around the sides and run a thin knife around the edges. Then open the springform pan. Or one can wrap the bottom of the pan in tin foil and dip the cheesecake in and out of very hot water to accomplish the same goal, and then, run a thin knife around the edge of the cheesecake.