Pangasius ???

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I see my local diner's menu every day on FB ;
Today they are offering "PANGASIUS" for the first time , at least that I've noticed.... this fish is new to me...... anybody ever heard of/tasted this Shark/Catfish ??

aaa.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never heard of it.

You going to try it and let us know, LT???

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Don't believe everything you read on the Net.......... You can find an article that rails against any farm-raised Fish............

I'm goin' in !!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Don't believe everything you read on the Net.......... You can find an article that rails against any farm-raised Fish............

I'm goin' in !!
Take pictures.
I'm interested to see what it's going to look like cooked and your review.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
You know I will !

Since my last post on this subject, I've been reminiscing about all of the stuff I've been warned not to eat........ Tuna and Salmon (Mercury) Flounder & Catfish (Bottom Feeders, catfish farmed in polluted water) Tilapia, Basa, Shrimp, Mussels, all farm-raised and supposedly raised in all kinds of bad stuff....... Even our good friend Chowderman was railing against tilapia as late as this January...... The MSNBC page always has articles along the lines of "Doctor says never eat these ... (Pick a number) things!"

Saturday's offering; first thing on the list was pretzels, for _____'s Sake !
Second thing; Canned Tomatoes !

If I stayed away from all of the food items we've been 'warned' about, the cupboard would be almost bare !

Just put me in Andrew Zimmern's corner !:thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe it's just that it's a new fish unknown to us.
Often times exotic foods can get a bad wrap.
Yeah, tilapia.
I remember when people were like what's that? Or eww, it's disgusting.
No. It's a very mild, inexpensive fish.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Tough to say much about the fish..... they pan-fried it, and drenched it in a Lobster Sauce.....
It's mild, has a Catfish bent, but fattier, more like Bluefish, if you recall that item, not seen in decades around here

It was a pleasant meal .....

I'm glad I went.... The Warden & I were regulars there, every Thursday night, plus her work is right next door, so whenever they had an appliance problem, she took care of them..... waitresses were happy to see me, it was a bitter/sweet hour ....

Anyway, this is what it looks like.......

Croydon DinerPan Fried Pangasius.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sauce looks fantastic! I'd eat one filet and take one home to savor for later.

David C

I see my local diner's menu every day on FB ;
Today they are offering "PANGASIUS" for the first time , at least that I've noticed.... this fish is new to me...... anybody ever heard of/tasted this Shark/Catfish ??

View attachment 32013
In the UK this is often called Basa and is a Vietnamese catfish. It is quite meaty with small flakes of flesh. It is quite tasty and has many uses as the filets hold together well. I often use its to make fish curry. Certainly worth a try...