Texas C

LADawg

I don’t know if you ever heard of Frank X. Tolbert or not. Anyway he was a writer for “The Dallas Morning News”, and had a column that was a must read for most Texans living in that area. He also authored a book by the title of “A Bowl of Red”. For some reason today I thought about Frank and his book. I Googled up the book and got this recipe in his book for what he called “Original Texas Chili”. By the way, if you haven’t read “A Bowl or Red” then put it on your list as a MUST read. A fun book to read and reread.

Wendell Smith
In Lower Alabama (known as LA down here) I’m about half way between Fairhope and Foley some 10 or 12 miles or so north of Gulf Shores, the Gulf of Mexico and it’s great white sand beaches
ORIGINAL TEXAS-STYLE CHILI
from A Bowl of Red by Frank X. Tolbert
3 Pounds Lean Beef, preferably Stewing Meat
2 Ounce Beef Suet (or substitute vegetable oil)
3-6 Ancho Chile Pods, boiled 5 minutes, cooled, stemmed, seeded and chopped, cooking water reserved. (or 3-6 Tbsp. chili powder or ground chile)
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Crushed Cumin Seed
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
2-4 Garlic Cloves, minced to taste
2-4 Ancho Chile Pods
2 Tablespoons Masa Harina or Cornmeal

Cook Suet until fat is rendered. Remove Suet. Sear Meat in fat in 2 or 3 batches. (Use oil for low cholesterol, less grease.) Place Meat in large pot with Pepper Pods and as much of the Pepper Liquid as you think you'll need to keep the meat from burning. About two inches of Water rising above the Meat is usually right. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add rest of ingredients except Masa and extra Anchos. Simmer 45 minutes more, covered. Stir only occasionally. Skim off grease. Taste and adjust seasonings. If not hot enough to suit you, add extra Ancho pods which have been stemmed and seeded, but not chopped. Add Masa Harina to thicken liquid. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the meat is tender.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks!

I was born and raised in Texas. His columns were great!

Jim

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Lived there for almost 11 years from the late 60's to the end of the 70's. I have a similar recipe I've used for years to make a Texas style Chili also. A bit of work but well worth it and if you think chili has to have beans then add what you like, I don't.

Texas Chili Recipe - Tyler Florence

Ingredients:
Chili Seasoning
3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons whole coriander
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn meal)
1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)
Grated queso fresco, for garnish (cheese)
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.

Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings