Punkin pie recipe request

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
hi folks, i am going to be embarking on a homemade punkin pie and i need a recipe using REAL pumpkin to start off of and get me going. all ive been finding use the canned stuff. help me out please! :chef:

Phiddlechik

I use canned pumpkin (not the pie mix, just plain). It is REAL pumpkin. Make sure if you are using a fresh pumpkin that you bake it until soft, scrape it out, and put it through a food mill, otherwise it's stringy. Then you are ready to measure and use. I find it to be a PITA, so go with the REAL canned pumpkin.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I don't find that a "real" pumpkin has any better of a taste then the canned and the canned is a whole heck of a lot easier !

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
thanks for the replies. i guess for my first one the canned would probably be the way to go. that way if i screw it up, i havent wasted too much lol

loboloco

Rusty, if you are going to use 'real' pumpkins, find some 'pie pumpkins. They are smaller than the regular type, and a little sweeter. Personally, I can't really tell the difference, but my mother swears by the little ones.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Rusty -

one thing to keep in mind - the typical big orange thingie sold as jack-o-lantern / Halloween decoration is actually not the "pumpkin" used by folks ala Libby for pumpkin puree.

which is not to say a plain old ordinary pumpkin won't work - but specific varieties are preferentially used for commercial pie fillings - often know as "pie pumpkins"

see: http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/history.aspx

if you experience the "it's good but there's something different" sensation, could be the "pumpkin" itself.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There are many pumpkin varieties to choose from. You can use the jack o lantern kind, but be prepared to lose some to moisture content. I will take a large pumpkin to yield enough pumpkin for the pie, and you'll have to wring it out.

I prefer the calabaza , sometimes called milk pumpkin or cheese pumpkin. It's called milk because the colour of the rind is a light colour, and a whole calabaza looks like a wheel of cheese. It's perfect for making pies.

Peel the pumpkin and cut it into 2 inch cubes. Put them into a pot with just enough water to keep them from sticking to the bottom. Cover and steam until tender. Then, process and drain out excess water. There won't be much.

An alternative method is to bake the pumpkin. You don't have to peel it, but cut it into sections. Cover and bake 350 degrees until very tender. Could be an hour, more or less depending on size. Then, simply scoop from the skin and process.

While canned pumpkin is fine, nothing beats a pie made from a fresh pumpkin.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I gotcha chowder man. gotta get them guord types

>>gotta get them gourd types

sheesh. don't go there with the gourd thing. the botanical types have an on-going discussion about classifications for the "big round things" in question. my attempts to illuminate the situation turned into a very nasty exchange with a "protected species" poster over on DC andf after 'the management' informed me of the errors of my ways I departed. over there protected species posters enjoy the right to flame anyone for any reason but any back-sass to a protected species is not tolerated by management.

the protected species poster finally busted out end of July, but I'm waiting until the protected species poster is gone for at least a year before I will consider rejoining that community.

Phiddlechik

There has been discussion regarding gourd/squash/pumpkin as to the proper botanical classification, as I understand it.
Quite frankly, I have made "pumkin" pie from old jack-o-lanterns, canned pumpkin, acorn squash, and butternut squash. They all may have subtle differences in taste, but they are all pretty darn close. Color, of course, may vary from light yellow to dark orange.
I prefer the canned variety for aforementioned reason: less work. But, if you have an adequate food mill, it will work. Steam or bake, mill, measure out what you need. I like the recipe on the can... using evaporated milk.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Rusty, at my grocery store, there are small pumpkins that have a sticker on them, stating they are pie pumpkins.
I bought one once and sliced and cooked it, then made a very simple recipe for a pie filling.
I understand you wanting to make a pie from an actual pumpkin.
Don't stress over it tho-- if you changed your mind, just look for Libby's Libby's Libby's on the Label, Label, Label... there's always a recipe on the back of the can or on their website. :D

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>huh?
yeah - got off on a tangent there....

as Phiddlechik pointed out there is a discussion about "names" - and indeed pretty much anything that looks&quacks like it will work but there are differences - aside from the canned stuff which frequently has spices/whatnot already added.

Phiddlechik

the canned pumpkin pie FILLING has spices added, the canned pumpkin is just that... plain canned pumpkin, no flavorings or spices.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>filling vs "just" pumpkin . . .

ohoh..... I need to get more observant!
perhaps that's why the wife gives me-the-shopper those evil looks . . .

Johnny West

This is the recipe I use for pumpkin pie. Normally I use turban squash instead of pumpkin. This year will use the sweet potato squash for the "pumpkin". I've got several other recipes I want to try too. Since I'm not going to host a Christmas dinner will experiment with different pies.

MAKES A 9" PIE

SAVEUR consulting editor Marion Cunningham has spent years tinkering with her pumpkin pie recipe. This is her latest version.

FOR THE FILLING:

1 1 3⁄4-lb. fresh pie pumpkin
2⁄3 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1⁄2 tsp. salt

FOR THE PASTRY:

1 1⁄2 cups flour
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup shortening, chilled
( I use Pillsbury pre-made crusts and roll them out a bit. I'll try pre-baking them this year, too.)

1. Cut pumpkin into large pieces, discarding seeds and pith. Fill a large pot, fitted with a steaming rack, with about 2 quarts water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Place pumpkin on rack, cover, and steam until pulp is soft, about 30 minutes. Cool and scrape pulp from skin into a food processor and purée until smooth. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, milk, eggs, and salt.
2. For crust, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3–4 tbsp. water, 1 tbsp. at a time; mix until dough holds together. Form into a ball; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. Roll dough into a 12" round on a floured surface, then ease into a 9" pie pan. Trim edges, allowing a 1⁄2" overhang, then fold and crimp. Fill and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and continue baking until filling is set, 30–40 minutes. Cool before serving.

Variation—Substitute 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin for fresh in step 1, above, but increase cinnamon to 1 1⁄2 tsp., ginger to 1⁄2 tsp., and cloves to 1⁄4 tsp.