Canadian Poutine

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
there are as many recipes for this as there are different ways to cook a potato..lol

variations at the end of the recipe

fries%20poutine.jpg

2 TBL butter
2 TBL all-purpose flour
2 cups beef stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into fries (Idaho are best)
1/2 lb fresh cheese curd, crumbled
Peanut oil for deep-frying

Blanche your french fries first. it gives them a crunchy outside,nice brown color,soft and tender inside

Combine the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to blend. Cook, stirring, constantly, to make a dark brown roux.

Stir in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and keep warm.

2nd Fry the potatoes in hot oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, mound the fries Spoon the gravy over the fries and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve immediately.

Of course you can do just about anything with poutine, add steak and gravy with mushrooms & onions are one of my favourites.

Give it an Italian flare and use spaghetti sauce and mozza cheese

Cheddar cheese and bacon add another twist....

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
My good friend Beth from Canada says this is the best!!!! I have never had it myself.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have heard tale of this late night treat but it involved smoking copious amounts of weed! Never had it myself though.

PanchoHambre

I had it once in Montreal.. wasn't a big fan... maybe I would like it better under circumstances as described by Susan .... I'll bet anything that Bam's is better than the stuff I had too.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I had it once in Montreal.. wasn't a big fan... maybe I would like it better under circumstances as described by Susan .... I'll bet anything that Bam's is better than the stuff I had too.

without bragging yes mine is probably better..lol

Mrs.Bam is American, she looked at me very very strangely the first time i told her what i was going to make...lol

now she is a big fan, we have it at least once a week

AllenOK

I learned about this when I was up in Michigan. PeppA is addicted to this stuff!

I'm from Oklahoma. I would prefer either a cream gravy, or a good chili topped with cheese.