Is it just me...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I could make a comment about bakers and pastry stuffers and consequences.. but uh I think I will refrain LOL!

chowhound

Odd, since so much sugar was produced on southern plantations, that it should be a northern affectation.

I was thinking the same thing. With the South's "indulgences" in its cooking, heavy on the flavor and don't count calories, I am surprised they don't favor sugar in their cone brade.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I never cared for cornbread until after I got married and tried my wifes. The way she learned to make it from her grandma was to mix it up much like mama's recipe without any white sugar, then the last thing she does before putting it in the oven is sprinkle it with brown sugar all over the top. Makes it good IMHO.

Last week we tried out a new BBQ place when we met our daughter to pick up Bree (our grandbaby) for the weekend. (We live a couple of hours apart so we meet someplace in the middle to pick her up). The BBQ place had cute little mini muffen size cornbread. They were great. Abby said they were sweet, I thought they were scrumdiliisous. I would guess they add the sugar to their cornbread and it sure is to my liking.

Debate on here is a judgment call. Myself and the mods will do our best to keep things civil. Our goal is to make this a fun place for all, and you would be surprised at how hard that is at times.

Edit to add:
After checking with Abby, she told me she does put a bit of white sugar in her cornbread in addition to sprinkling brown sugar over the top. About 1/4 cup of the white stuff.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, was the new bbq restaurant a chain called Red Hot & Blue? Their cornbread is semi sweet and baked in miniature muffins.

Jim

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Doc, was the new bbq restaurant a chain called Red Hot & Blue? Their cornbread is semi sweet and baked in miniature muffins.

Jim

The PeachTree in KC did this, but with sweet potato muffins. Very moist, sweet, and couldn't get enough of em!

chowhound

Thanks LT...but I try not to go too fast or I'll fall or the porch!

That's what a nice dog laying in front of the steps is for, to prevent that kind of thing from happening.
I'll bet you still got neon in your veins, too, Mama.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I like Jiffy cornbread which is plenty sweet. I like to slather it with a good cream butter. Now if the cornbread is not sweet in natrue, then yes, bring on the honey! Better yet, honey-butter!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Neon in her veins? Don't get that one?

I still think Sweet Tea is supposed to have honey in it, not just regular sugar.... I had it once in Atlanta done that way and it was the best! They wouldn't tell me how it was made, but did say it did have honey in it and I could taste that. Everywhere else it has been done with sugar and is just not as good.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Neon in her veins? Don't get that one?

I still think Sweet Tea is supposed to have honey in it, not just regular sugar.... I had it once in Atlanta done that way and it was the best! They wouldn't tell me how it was made, but did say it did have honey in it and I could taste that. Everywhere else it has been done with sugar and is just not as good.

maybe a touch of honey but heres how i make it

i make a simple syrup.. equal parts sugar to water...boil until reduced a bit.

make my tea and pour simple syrup for sweetener...

i make my cornbread into muffins all the time. i use the jiffy mixes as well and they are sweet enough you dont have to add sugar.

when making "real" cornbread, i still dont add sugar because the cream corn i add to it, makes it sweet enough.

my basic recipe ingredients:
grilled sweet corn
cream corn
jalapeno or habanero
sharp cheddar cheese
touch of garlic
sour cream