Is it just me...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Save the experiments for things that need fixin'. If a good recipe ain't broke, don't try to to fix it:

2 cups of self-rising cornmeal
1/3 cup of vegetable oil (or bacon grease if you have it)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup of milk

The bacon grease is required!! LOL. And I prefer the CI when making it. If your cornmeal is not self rising, what is it that you add to make it so? Wasn't it baking powder?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The bacon grease is required!! LOL. And I prefer the CI when making it. If your cornmeal is not self rising, what is it that you add to make it so? Wasn't it baking powder?

Baking powder and salt...but it's kinda like biscuits...I always use self-rising because IT DOES make a difference in the taste and texture.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
White Lily for both my cornmeal and flour.

It seems like I can find that more easily in S. Fla than NE, Ohio but there are places that carry it. It is one of the things I love about the grocery stores down South. I can find such neat things to bring home.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
go away keltin, there's none left.

did you sign up for mama's newsletter.

i don't think so.

so there. no cornbread for you!!!!

:mrgreen:

there are fewer treats in this world like butter melting with honey on a fine piece of cornbread. i was introduced to this phenomenon with oven hot scones, butter, and honey. but corn takes it to another level...

AMEN!!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

homecook

I never knew you didn't put sugar in cornbread until my dd married a Southerner......boy did he set me straight!! Now that's the only way I make it.

Barb

babe

or does anyone else love hot cornbread with butter and honey? The cornbread just came out of the oven and I'm enjoying a piece right now with lots of melted butter and honey...mmmmmmmmmm

love it and also love karo syrup white or dark. can u tell i was raised in the south. was like dessert to me as a kids. still do it as an adult.:a1:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
love it and also love karo syrup white or dark. can u tell i was raised in the south. was like dessert to me as a kids. still do it as an adult.:a1:
Oh that's right, Babe! My Louisiana grandmother made biscuits for every meal and my grandfather always had one after supper with Karo syrup on it for dessert.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

No, as I explained to Mama cornbread was part of my Hungarian grandma's childhood in Hungary. It was a staple of her diet. It was where I got my interest. She also cooked with cast iron. It is why I like food history so much because I can see similarities in cultures.

When I am in South Florida, I like to eat a wide range of ethnic eats. However, it is nice to know that you are still hanging on my every word, Keltin. Isn't it time you start letting go--find something better to do with your time.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh that's right, Babe! My Louisiana grandmother made biscuits for every meal and my grandfather always had one after supper with Karo syrup on it for dessert.

Karo and molasses are staples here as well. Always on hand, always on stock. Good for making quick simple syrups for pancakes, for making molasses cookies, etc.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
By the way, why don't you look up recipes for mamaliga. It, too, is a staple of an Eastern European Jewish diet.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No, as I explained to Mama cornbread was part of my Hungarian grandma's childhood in Hungary. It was a staple of her diet. It was where I got my interest. She also cooked with cast iron. It is why I like food history so much because I can see similarities in cultures.

When I am in South Florida, I like to eat a wide range of ethnic eats. However, it is nice to know that you are still hanging on my every word, Keltin. Isn't it time you start letting go--find something better to do with your time.

A hungaraian cooking cornbread doesn't explain your remark about hating southern food. I was just interested in the sudden change of heart and duplicity I saw. Maybe you finally ate a real good Southern meal or something? Some good biscuits, boiled greens, and fried chicken? Yum!

Some of us say what we mean, and mean what we say. I figure it's the best way to go through life. Besides, I've got a good memory which requires no time at all to recall such "oddities". Sorry, it's just a good memory and nothing to be flattered about.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Keltin quit obsessing over my likes and dislikes. It makes me feel like you are stalking me.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin quit obsessing over my likes and dislikes. It makes me feel like you are stalking me.

Stalking on a public board???? :drama:

We’re all “family” here, and I was just curious if you had come around since your last tirade over hating southern food. I thought perhaps you had a change of heart and really decided all that you said in those other threads should be recanted, and you now officially like southern food, biscuits and all? I mean, if you’re a big fan of southern food now, there’s plenty of us here that can help you out with TNT recipes and techniques just like you like to help others with baking. Just trying to be friendly and lend a southern hand. Sorry you got your nose bent out joint over an offered hand. :unsure:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I gotta go get me some more cornbread with butter and honey...I'll be right back.....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Stalking on a public board???? :drama:

We’re all “family” here, and I was just curious if you had come around since your last tirade over hating southern food. I thought perhaps you had a change of heart and really decided all that you said in those other threads should be recanted, and you now officially like southern food, biscuits and all? I mean, if you’re a big fan of southern food now, there’s plenty of us here that can help you out with TNT recipes and techniques just like you like to help others with baking. Just trying to be friendly and lend a southern hand. Sorry you got your nose bent out joint over an offered hand. :unsure:

Spoken like a true Southern Gentleman!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Spoken like a true Southern Gentleman!

Thank you ma'am. It's just the way I was raised! Mom and grandma taught me early on to pull the chair out for the ladies, hold the door, and always lend a hand when you can!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You know I have some in the pantry.....

I knew it, I knew it........:yum:

Have you ever made popcorn balls? Mom used to make them. They're pretty good. A bit sweet and messy, but pretty neat none-the-less.