What's cooking NCT? 09.20-26.2015

Saliha

Pork in chili sauce with vegetables, spaghetti and chick peas with fresh basil and tomato.

Lb4JYgA.jpg

simon ben

I'm planning to cook some Eggs with a Moroccan speciality called "Khlii", it's a little bit fatty but I'm enjoying myself today, tomorrow the training begins and no more fatty food!! :D

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Lunch was just instant beef soba noodles with hard fried egg and scallions.
-Dinner, I am thinking broccoli cheddar rice casserole.

Johnny West

I had a lobster roll and cup of lobster bisque for lunch and still feel punky from this cold. At least the sore throat has abated.

The chicken soup is still on for the evening.

Embryodad

Susans Meat Balls tonight. ( they are like little oval meat loaves baked in cream of mushroom soup.)

Yellow squash boiled buttered and peppered. Asparagus, and mashed potatoes for T and uncle G.

Johnny West

Susans Meat Balls tonight. ( they are like little oval meat loaves baked in cream of mushroom soup.)

Yellow squash boiled buttered and peppered. Asparagus, and mashed potatoes for T and uncle G.

I love game, i.e. pheasant, squirrel, and rabbits pan fried, then baked off in cream of mushroom soup, extra mushrooms, and onions. Meatballs would be perfect and similar to Swedish Meatballs.

Yesterday was Angela's birthday and had to work the night at Atria so will take her to Chillmark Tavern for dinner tonight. I'm having a steak with a seafood appy, I think.

Last night I tuna tartare and a Caesar Salade with anchovies at the Atlantic. I should have went with the chicken soup but was feeling perky; today worse.

Last edited:

Moxie

Spatchcocked roast chicken. It's a favorite - I don't know why we don't have it more often.

Attachments

• IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 180

Johnny West

Yes, I eat squirrels and they are a popular game animal in the U.S. They have a mild taste and are quite good, similar to "chicken" lol Most rodents are good to eat but some can have a very different taste and indescribable. Raccoon is different but ok; muskrats are awful and that is odd because they only eat good vegetation and corn. Opossum and ground hog are good but need a parboil to get a lot of the fat out - very ready. I've not shot a squirrel or rabbit in years but can buy commercially raised abbots at the commissary. A rabbit paella is on my short list.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Spatchcocked roast chicken. It's a favorite - I don't know why we don't have it more often.

BEAUTIFUL!! What did you serve with it?

Yes, I eat squirrels and they are a popular game animal in the U.S. They have a mild taste and are quite good, similar to "chicken" lol Most rodents are good to eat but some can have a very different taste and indescribable. Raccoon is different but ok; muskrats are awful and that is odd because they only eat good vegetation and corn. Opossum and ground hog are good but need a parboil to get a lot of the fat out - very ready. I've not shot a squirrel or rabbit in years but can buy commercially raised abbots at the commissary. A rabbit paella is on my short list.

I have had squirrel and I didn't really care for it. It tasted a bit to sweet for my taste. Could have been the way it was cooked. But everyone else loved it. I did like southern fried rabbit.

Saliha

Before I came to this forum I thought that you Americans eat hotdogs, burgers and donuts but I never thought about squirrels...

:yum:

Johnny West

I love game and order it out when ever I see it on the menu.
The venison served here is farm raised in New Zealand. I can
buy elk (wapiti) that is raised in Idaho, though. I'm mostly a
a small game hunter so ate a lot of that through the years - not
so much now and need to get back to hunting.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Never did get a chance to make my broccoli rice dish yesterday.
I got called into work last minute. We ordered pizza.

Tonight I made a BLT, then cut up some broccoli and onion and tossed it in some ranch dressing.

Johnny West

We went to Chillmark Tavern for dinner. I had the scallops and a side of roasted beets in granola and cream fresh. The beets were actually pretty good - scallops were excellent. The chef is a friend of Matt's as was the sous chef (the sous chef cooks for Matt in Utah in the winter) and we got comped a huge order of smoked mussels in a cream sauce, that was to die for, and a plate of roasted green beans that were excellent, too. I only got a picture of the scallops. The place was packed. Lee, I highly recommend you go here next time you go to Martha's Vineyard.

IMG_6931.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Embryodad

For supper....uh?? darn it, would you believe I forgot what......Oh! wait a minute.
It was nothing; because it was pea soup with 5 little tall house crackers.
Nothing else. Now I am hungry, and I will make some eggs with cheese and scallions.

We got plendy eggs. Tina bought a case of xtra large brown eggs at the farm auction. 30 Dozen per case. $84.00 per thirty dozen. Thats.....uh $2.80 per Doz.
The stores are getting over $5.99 for an 18 count pack.

Johnny West

Split pea soup is on my short list when I get home. I love it.

I had French Onion Soup for lunch and it was pedestrian.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Moxie, that is one big, beautiful chicken you had there!

Johnny, I hope to get back to the Vineyard soon - maybe next year.

Lee

Johnny West

I don't know I'll ever get back unless Matt changes his kind and comes back. Next year I'm going to the north Island - the upper end of Vancouver Island to camp and spend some time by myself. I may do a road trip to Iowa pheasant hunting, too. I also have a 50 year high school reunion which is also the 150 year anniversary of the founding of my home town and a reunion of my old (favorite) army unit. I'm going to have to choose one. all will involve some fishing.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
dinner i made recently- my pic would not take--

potato w/ havarti & bleu; bread, a honeycrisp, milk, cider, & bread w/ heirloom slices (& yogurt dressing in bleu cheese).
may not be gorgeous, 'cept i was not pouting. until i was hungry a few hours later & could not snooze, so made a snack.

Attachments

• mefood92215.jpg
    mefood92215.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 160

Johnny West

I guess it's the Terrace tonight and good thing I brought a tie was thinking of buying a Vineyard Vines tie anyway. They have a dress code - wish I'd brought my blazer but need a bigger travel grip. I think I'll have the swordfish.

Johnny West

I'm planning to cook some Eggs with a Moroccan speciality called "Khlii", it's a little bit fatty but I'm enjoying myself today, tomorrow the training begins and no more fatty food!! :D

Do you mind me asking, what training?

I know I'll be cutting way back after this long holiday.

Johnny West

Tonight's dinner at The Terrace was one of the best restaurants I've eaten in and the food was wonderful. I had gravlox for an appy and swordfish for the entree. I don't know what else to say.

They didn't allow mobile phones so no pictures and I was only one of two men with ties on.

lilylove

I have chicken thawing out... but have no idea yet on what I'm going to do with it. Prbly oven friend.