Bok choy question?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
DW was wanting to try a recipe that calls for 8 cups of Bok choy. She is having a hard time finding it.
So, we are looking for hints as to where we might find it or is there something that we might substitute. The recipe is for Curry Cashew Beef. A new recipe to us. Any ideas?

Leni

Bok Choy is simply a Chinese version of cabbage. If savoy cabbage is available use it instead. If not then ordinary green cabbage is a good substitute.

GotGarlic

Bok choy stems are similar to celery, while the leaves are similar to cabbage, so I would add some celery, too - maybe 2 cups of that and 6 cups of cabbage.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!! I thank you and DW said to tell you thanks! :thumb: :tiphat:

Will share the recipe if it is worthy. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Napa cabbage, another variety of Chinese cabbage, would also be a fair substitute.

Savoy cabbage is round, with curly leaves. A head of Napa is elongated, like endive, only with curly leaves.

If you CAN find bok choy, that would be best.

No Asian markets in S.E. Ohio, Doc????

:wink:
Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, no Asian markets in SE Ohio. :yum: LOL
The closest ones I know of are in Columbus. I work with a girl of Chinese decent and she travels to Columbus ever so often to stock up on her supplies. I might be able to have her get it for us ....or we will be in Columbus this weekend so we could get them ourselves.

Thanks Lee!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, in that case, hold out for the bok choy. It's leaves are more delicate than any of the cabbage substitutes.

I work right next door to a huge Asian supermarket, so it makes Asian cooking easy and inexpensive.

The produce is great (and sometimes mysterious), and the canned, jarred, and bottled goods and condiments are endless!

I just went for soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and garlic bean paste (all from China and half the price of national name brands), but also snagged a can of Hickory Smoked Spam and a can of BACON Spam!

I thought it was my duty to NCT to try those Spams. :mrgreen:

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well, in that case, hold out for the bok choy. It's leaves are more delicate than any of the cabbage substitutes.

I work right next door to a huge Asian supermarket, so it makes Asian cooking easy and inexpensive.

The produce is great (and sometimes mysterious), and the canned, jarred, and bottled goods and condiments are endless!

I just went for soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and garlic bean paste (all from China and half the price of national name brands), but also snagged a can of Hickory Smoked Spam and a can of BACON Spam!

I thought it was my duty to NCT to try those Spams. :mrgreen:

Lee
I have never tried garlic bean paste. What is it, what do you use it in/on? What kind of beans?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Lee, it is indeed your duty to NCT. LOL :yum:

I am surprised at the Asian market selections in our local Kroger's store. They really have quite the ethnic area after a remodel a couple of years ago. They have lots of stuff but no Bok choy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never tried garlic bean paste. What is it, what do you use it in/on? What kind of beans?

Peep, it's made from fermented black beans, soy sauce, garlic and other stuff.

It's much like "Better Than Boullion", if you've ever had that - it is very dense, rich and salty.

I use it in stir-frys, in dipping sauces, on steamed vegetables, Asian soups, etc.

Good stuff!

Lee

Attachments

• Garlic Black Bean Paste.JPG
    Garlic Black Bean Paste.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 112

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep, it's made from fermented black beans, soy sauce, garlic and other stuff.

It's much like "Better Than Boullion", if you've ever had that - it is very dense, rich and salty.

I use it in stir-frys, in dipping sauces, on steamed vegetables, Asian soups, etc.

Good stuff!

Lee
I have never seen or heard of either of those. That looks so yummy and rich!!! Do you use it for "brown" gravies or just asian dishes?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use the black bean paste for Asian dishes and the "Better than Bouillion" if I need more flavor for other sauces or gravies.

But, now that you mention it, the black bean paste may be great in a gravy for beef or roast pork!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
If you hit an Asian market, check out their offerings of rice bran oil. Usually MUCH less expensive.

K

Kimchee

Bok choy can be found in Wal-Mart around here. It's not as good as the baby bok choy, but it'll do.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes we buy it all the time in most food stores from WalMart to Whole Foods. Even Kroger's has it often. It is one of my favorite cabbages to be honest and comes large or the baby size which are great grilled.

High Cheese

Saucier
The Asian market I shop at has everything from pork belly to Durians. That's where I get my duck from too, $2.79 p/p. They always have the stuff reguar markets don't carry and a huge selection of fish. The produce is about 1/2 what the regular supermarket charges. I just picked up some white miso to play around with.

You could also ask your local Chinese take out place where you could get some, they might even sell some to you.