What Have You Stopped Eating Because It Might Be BAD

K

Kimchee

My other thead about 7 Foods not to eat got me to thinking...
What have I stopped eating because of "bad press"?

Hmmmm....

Bulk bagged fish from the Orient.. catfish, tilapia, etc
Often raised in filthy, contaminant-laden waters.... ick!

I think that is about it, although I might remember some more..

What about you?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Once upon a time, meat lol

Seriously, I avoid a lot of high sodium content foods like processed luncheon meats, and canned soups, opting usually for a healthier version/alternative of both.

homecook

Nothing!!

My grandmother ate everything under the sun that was supposedly bad for you (fat, sodium, starches, coffee, eggs, bacon)......she lived to be almost 100.
I figure if it's my time.......so be it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I control my foods salt content as much as possible and won't eat most chickens or bird sold in the average grocery stores in the US. Neither of these had anything to do with bad press though but more on my own observations. I do eat salt just not in the quantities I used too and chickens just don't look or taste right to me. I also won't buy meats at WalMart due to the fact they pump most of it full of saline solution but then I won't buy any meats from anyone that is done too. Other than those items I will pretty much eat anything put in front of me and have eaten food that would make a billy goat puke in my travels. I'm still in fairly good condition for a 63 year old man that smokes about a 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day.

phreak

I can't think of anything I've completely stopped eating. I limit my intake of non organic produce/dairy/meats/and farm raised tilapia,salmon. I have completely stopped reheating left overs in plastic bowls.

Oh I also don't eat much apex predator fish.

K

Kimchee

Further contemplation has revealed that I do a LOT of label reading, which has seriously reduced my consumption of many packaged foods.... if there is a ton of fat or salt, I put it back.
I am also upset about the brining of chicken and beef, but it is almost impossible to avoid, dammit. Along with the salts, I HATE paying 12-18% more for what is essentially water.
Questioned Tyson foods about the practice, they said consumer surveys showed that the artificially salted and "flavor improved' chicken was preferred...so they were just giving us what we want. (And this was their ORGANIC, NATURAL Chicken breasts.... uh huh)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Joe in that I like to find farm raised bird around here.
Most of the chicken sold in our grocery store is.
I also have gotten out of the habit of using a salt shaker years ago, and only use it to add to a recipe.
I think the biggest reason I am avoiding any meats that are loaded with antibiotics and such is because of my sister two years ago having breast cancer, then a first cousin the following year.
A pic of my chick for tonight's dinner..

Attachments

• 2009-12-10 10-51-40.971.jpg
    2009-12-10 10-51-40.971.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 112

Deelady

Only time I tried to avoid certain foods is when there is an active e-coli warning out or similar warning. But I just wait for it to blow over and go back to it.

But seriously, if we listened to every warning out there from this study or that...we would starve! Unless you happen to grow or raise everything your self.
Only warning I stick with is...don't buy green meat!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I've dramatically reduced the amount of soda I drink, mainly because of the high fructose corn syrup used to sweeten it.

I avoid those farm raised fish too, but I never ate much of it to begin with.

I also buy very little pre-processed meat, like the kind that has all sorts of solutions pumped into it.