Pressure cooker short ribs in red wine and beef broth

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I kind of winged this from a base recipe I found, mostly for the amount of time to cook, since I wanted to make a few subs. There were 2 of us eating. We had no leftovers. Hubs went back for seconds an hour or so later and finished what little was left. He REALLY liked it. I bet this would be spectacular made the day before and gently reheated the next night since things like this tend to be even better the next day.

About 2-1/2 pounds of short ribs
1/2 cup chopped onions more or less
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 very large cloves of garlic, peeled, and well smashed
4-5 good size single sprigs of fresh thyme or equivalent multi sprig piece
1 four-pack bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot
1-1/2 cups beef broth (I use about a 60/40 mixture of broth and water if using commercial beef broth because it has an aftertaste to it to me, could use chicken stock instead of water)
1-1/2 to 2 cups fingerling potatoes
1 cup pearl onions
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks (we like carrots)
Olive oil

Heat pot over medium high to high, some oil of choice, generously S and P ribs, brown ribs off on 3 sides (not bone side), remove the ribs, pour out all but about 1 tsp of the grease. Add chopped onions, the tomato paste and garlic, and saute until onion is starting to get translucent, stirring frequently because T-paste will burn. Add the wine to deglaze and cook for 2-3 minutes until all the fond comes up, add the thyme sprig(s) and the beef broth and water. Bring liquid back up to a boil, add the ribs back in, meat side down as much a possible then cook in stovetop PC on high for 35 minutes, natural cool down 15. Remove ribs, de-fat liquid in a fat strainer/separator, add back to pot along with remaining veges, and maybe a little more liquid, 1/4 to a 1/3 cup probably. You'll be surprised at how much evaporated. Cook the veges for 5-10 minutes at high pressure depending on how much you like them done and do an instant release, and put the ribs back in to heat back up.

The time for an electric PC was either 10 minutes longer or 10 minutes shorter, but I don't remember which, sorry, though it also did the natural release for the rib cook.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It would probably be longer cook time for electric PC due to the fact that the pressure PSI is lower than a stovetop PC.