Recipe for Homemade Andouille Sausage

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
since i am in canada and cannot find andouille here, i found this recipes and so far the ingredients look good.. it is not tested yet but will be as soon as pork butts or shoulders go on sale. this probable wont be as good as the original from LaPlace,LA but in need andouille..lol

5 pounds pork butt, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 Tbs sweet paprika
2 Tbs plus 2 tsp of Morton's Tenderquick
2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs white sugar
1 Tbs coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/2 cup ice cold water
hog casings

Combine the spices, salt, sugar, garlic and Tenderquick. When cutting up the pork butt, separate the pork fat from the the lean meat as it's being cut into pieces.

In separate bowls, coat the meat and fat with the spice mixture, rubbing it in well. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
To give the sausage the correct texture, the meat and fat should be coarsely ground. Use a 3/8 inch plate to grind the meat, and a 1/4 inch plate for the fat. Combine the meat with the fat, add the cold water, and knead until all the water is absorbed. Stuff into the casing, twisting off into 4 inch lengths.

For the best flavor the andouille should be cold smoked at under 100 degrees for 10 to 12 hours. This will give them a strong smoke flavor, which makes them perfect for adding flavor to all those great Cajun dishes. The cold smoked sausages are cured, but still uncooked and must be fully cooked before eating.

If you don't want to take the time cold smoking requires, you can hot smoke them at 175-200 degrees for 3 to 5 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
The fruits of this andouille sausage recipe can be safely refrigerated for up to five days, and will keep in the freezer for up 2 months...if any of 'em last that long!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I would love to have some as well! I am a little daunted about making things like this especially casing them, but if I can get my smoker this summer I will definitely make the effort to try!
You guys are just gonna have to add in tips and tricks to help me along!!

Thanks for the recipe!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I would love to have some as well! I am a little daunted about making things like this especially casing them, but if I can get my smoker this summer I will definitely make the effort to try!
You guys are just gonna have to add in tips and tricks to help me along!!

Thanks for the recipe!

hey "when" you get your smoker, and need any help please dont hesitate to ask... smoking meat & bbq is my preferred way of cooking, the kitchen is just where i prepare stuff for my BBQ...lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh I will definitely ask!! About a million questions so ya'll be prepared!! LOL. I am the same way with my kitchen in the summer, I spend as much of it cooking outside as is possible.
Seems silly to be running the AC and heating up the kitchen at the same time, LOL.