Real Stewed Tomatoes

Granny

I'm sure most people don't get a thrill when they think of stewed tomatoes. That is probably because these days folks just buy a can of stewed tomatoes, throw them in the nuker for a minute and believe that is how stewed tomatoes are supposed to taste. Far from it.

It is sad that making real stewed tomatoes has become a dying art, they're so good. Now this is some real country cookin'.

Stewed Tomatoes

1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1 large can whole tomatoes, sliced (do not drain)
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

2 or 3 slices white bread, each torn into 5 or 6 pieces
Sauté the onion and green pepper in the butter over medium heat until tender.

Add the tomatoes and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add the bread and stir gently. Remove from heat.

Granny

Yes I have, when I had a garden. Unfortunately it's too hard for me to stoop down to tend a garden these days, but to me, making stewed tomatoes from canned taste just as good as when made from fresh.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I was more thinking about additives in the can of tomatoes. Then, I haven't looked at a can of tomatoes lately.

Granny

Yes, additives aren't good. The problem with canned tomatoes is that they are acid, so BPA can leech out of the can into the tomatoes, but not all canned tomatoes are created equal. In order to know whether or not a can of tomatoes contains BPA, unfortunately you have to buy a can and open it. If the lining of the can is white, it contains BPA. If not, it does not. It is best to avoid any canned food that has a white lining.