Olive Oils?

LADawg

Over on Facebook I have seen several post saying that most grocery store Olive Oils are in fact fake. Anyone know if these claims are true or not?
I found one of the brands listed as NOT being fake at WalMart today about brought it home. Should I have spent the extra money? I sure don’t know and was wondering if anyone on here did……..

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the discussion methought involved just the "extra virgin" claim/label.

"standards" for extra virgin are relatively new - and voluntary if I understand right.

I find 'extra virgin' often has a very strong flavor profile (vs 'normal' olive oil) - I have a small bottle we like for salads but that's it - I simply don't use EVOO for other stuff; cost aside - the stronger flavor can really trash a dish.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I like to go to fairway here in nj. They must have twenty different olive pulls. They set out bread and sample bottles.

It makes a nice yum while shopping.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
they have metal containers, & give samples. w/ bread to dip, before purchase. they offer advice. they offer various types to pair w/ wines, cheeses, breads, & so on.

Last edited:

chilefarmer

I use lard for most of our cooking, Yep I render my own, then I know what I am getting. Use real butter to. CF