What's Cooking NCT Sun. 2/24/2013 to Sat. 3/2/2013

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I just called it a Yum Yum Sandwich!

I was busy working on the car today....so Tina fried bacon for me so I can have a Bacon / egg / and cheese on a toasted Bagel.
OMG it was so good. Tina said I ate it with finess! LOL
I love those Thomas' Soft bagels. They stay in the refrigerator for days, and are fresh tasting all the time.
I would have thought you would eat it with "reckless abandon.":yum:

Anyhoo, I made BBQ beef tips, broccoli and tater salad for dinner. It was a big hit!

Dinner022813_zps1bd9f2c6.jpg

Embryodad

I would have thought you would eat it with "reckless abandon.":yum:

Anyhoo, I made BBQ beef tips, broccoli and tater salad for dinner. It was a big hit!

Joe!... I'm glad Tina isn't here to see the beef tips..
She was busting my tookus all day for beef like that over noodles or ( For Her ) mashed potatoes. Looks so darn good!

Now tomorrow, is No Meat Friday here...so she's St. Ot. Of. Lk. for having that!

"Reckless Abandon" = hahahahahahahahahaha

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I could be there to help Mama!

Well you'd better hurry there's not much left. There's a little spaghetti and a couple of meatballs left, some potato salad, a couple of pieces of fried chicken, some green beans, a pork chop and some salad mix.

Embryodad

Well you'd better hurry there's not much left. There's a little spaghetti and a couple of meatballs left, some potato salad, a couple of pieces of fried chicken, some green beans, a pork chop and some salad mix.
Geepers....with all that, I will ask if I may bring a few family members? hahahaha

Embryodad

Tina made us a snack!
She knew I was starving from just eating One BE&C on a bagel today!...
She made Nice Potato Pancakes ( A Kosher Boxed Brand )
I Eat Mine with Sour Cream or Plain.

potatopancakessnack002.jpg

Tina eats hers with Jelly! Has to be Grape! Y U C K !

potatopancakessnack003.jpg

These are the leftovers...Yeah! Right!... They'll be gone before 12:00 Midnight...lest we turn back to Frogs if we don't!

potatopancakessnack004.jpg

thegrindre

The other berries have tiny little seeds that get in my teeth and I can't get 'em out, so I avoid 'em.

Chili over Fritos with guacamole on the side for me tonight.
:)

thegrindre

Here's my chile and those Pyrex 2 cup bowls I use for everything. Got about a dozen of them or so.

Attachments

• chili.jpg
    chili.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 136

Embryodad

Here's my chile and those Pyrex 2 cup bowls I use for everything. Got about a dozen of them or so.
Looks good Rick

Those pyrex...are they the one with the rubber nice fitting lids.

We have like three of them, and I love them. I've got them a Long Time Too!

thegrindre

Yes, they are. Mine are old, too. I've had to buy a few more so the newer ones have red lids but my older ones have blue.
The next size down are just too small for anything I want to do, but I have a few of the next size up.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Embryodad

Yes, they are. Mine are old, too. I've had to buy a few more so the newer ones have red lids but my older ones have blue.
The next size down are just too small for anything I want to do, but I have a few of the next size up.

Thank you.
The wife bought a set of rectangular Pyrex with red lids.

The biggest about 10 x 6 but high, and with red lids, but what is nice..they spoon inside each other (With) their lids on. Like a block of 4 inside each other which cuts down on storage while keeping them all together.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
dinner tonite-
soup, salad, grilled cheese & pierogies. we made 2 dinners.

Attachments

• soup228.jpg
    soup228.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 161
  • pierogies228.jpg
    pierogies228.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 156
  • dinnercompleted228.jpg
    dinnercompleted228.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

thegrindre

Yes they do fit inside one another with the lids on. It does save storage space. I like 'em a lot and being Pyrex, you can cook with them, too.

Embryodad

We were supposed to have fish with the kids...B U T ..DIL who was to pick up the fish at the Long John Silver place, was home from work, and sick in bed. SOOoooo!

Tina is having mashed potatoes and gravy leftovers.

Me!..LOL ...I'm just sittin here and chewing my tongue for supper!

Maybe something later???

Embryodad

Well... Tina felt sorry for me while chewing my tongue, so she made us some spaghetti sauce and Meatballs....Only to be devoured when the bells strike 12:00 Midnight.
That is the end of the No meat Friday fast. LOL

Mom used to count the bells at the church, and there we were as kids ready to eat a nice salami or a sausage sandwich, but she would tell us.."Don't you eat, until the last bell rings!"

We were like, "Come On Ma, give us a break!"

She threatened us that she would call the priest and tell him we were bad if we didn't wait for that last 12th bell before we chomped down on that meat. LOL

Embryodad

Curiosity on my part but why the last bell when the first is exactly on the hour?
Because...it was Mother! mother ruled, and you never doubted Mother.

The only thing more powerful than Mother...was the Broom she used to set us straight! LOL

Also...when the Church bell stikes... We listened and took time (she thought) to say a little prayer. We prayed...and we in our minds silently said..((( God LETS EAT! )))

She also didn't want us stuffing face like Hungry Hungry Hippo's whilst the Bells Tolled!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
jimmy- i've lived a similar life here. if there was a Lenten day, we got seafood or grilled cheese.
i live very near a church. to this day, i bow my head & give thanks when i hear the bells ringing, especially during a meal.:thankyou:
i thought yesterday was thursday.

Last edited:

Embryodad

...I was wishing for a stew with Shrimp and Scallops.
It came out good, but Rigatoni was not the matching starch in the soup, but I didn't push any away. Rice would have been the ticket; but it is, what it is!

fishstew001.jpg

Cooked the Macaroni ...in the frying pan!

fishstew003.jpg

fishstew005.jpg

fishstew006.jpg

Embryodad

jimmy- i've lived a similar life here. if there was a Lenten day, we got seafood or grilled cheese.
i live very near a church. to this day, i bow my head & give thanks when i hear the bells ringing, especially during a meal.:thankyou:
i thought yesterday was thursday.
I still abide by the old rules before Vatican II came about!

The word "Holy Spirit"......I still say.."Holy Ghost!" ...

.................. End ..................

thegrindre

Mmmm, I love shrimp and scallops and rice.
Aside from the pasta, what's the rest of the recipe, if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks,

Embryodad

Mmmm, I love shrimp and scallops and rice.
Aside from the pasta, what's the rest of the recipe, if you don't mind sharing it.

Thanks,
No problem.

One fresh large carrot diced
Two stalks Celery cut 1"
1/2 cup minced scallions
1 tomato peeled and chopped medium pieces.
1 lb. shrimp peeled
8 scallops large (I sliced them in half)
2 knorr's chicken bouillion powder packetts or cubes.
1 cup white wine.
2 Tbs. cooking oil. ( I used Wesson Oil )
In a 4 Qt. pot..I added cooking oil ...the carrots / celery, and sweat down for about 10 minutes..
Add 4 / cups water and 1 cup of white wine Salt and Pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt ) (1/4 tsp pepper)

Add tomatoes and two Knorr's or equal powdered chicken flavoring (Bouillion)

Cover and on low heat...cook till the liquid cooks down minus 1/3 ... ( approx. 1 hr )

Add shrimp and scallops..cook 8 to 10 minutes.

I ladled over Rigatoni but Rice would have been more appropriate.
DW doesn't like rice. That's what made me veer toward the rigatoni (her favorite)...and she ate NONE!!!

Embryodad

Thank you. Sounds like something I want to try.
You're welcome Rick.

I was going to make a rue and add that to thicken it a bit, but I was just wishing for the fishy juicey flavor. No Flour or Cornstarch for this one; and again...next time it will be over rice!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Fried chicken, steamed fresh broccoli and mashed potatoes (with butter, sour cream and chives) and gravy

020213_fried_chicken_P1090798.jpg

thegrindre

You're welcome Rick.

I was going to make a rue and add that to thicken it a bit, but I was just wishing for the fishy juicey flavor. No Flour or Cornstarch for this one; and again...next time it will be over rice!
I've been looking for a shrimp type soup or stew dish.
I make oyster stew and clam chowder often. I keep shrimp on hand regularly and do a scampi thing with it and also my little Shrimp and Pasta Delight dish and I've been looking for a soup or stew thing for shrimp as well.