What's for dinner? Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Chicken and Dumplings

Dumplings - Rolled and ready for the broth:

3880766483_608fc903c4.jpg

Bowled and ready for the mouth:

3880763925_11d5aa6b3a.jpg

Wow! Thos are incredible looking dumplings! We LOVE chicken and dumplings. I often cheat and use the drop method with Bisquick or even get a can of premade biscuits and just pinch off pieces. Your’s look so elegant!! Awesome! :clap:

chowhound

I guess not Peepers. I don't really think about it, I just mix it all with a wooden spoon until it looks good. I cut the butter into thin pieces so it mixes up better.

ooh, you know what else makes a good "dumpling"? Take an egg, mix it up with a fork, add some dry parsley and then add a lot of flour. Mix it until it's really thick and not drippy. Almost dry, but the flour should disappear and the mixture is yellow. Then grab a forkfull and use your finger to push it into the boiling soup. My mother used to make this all the time for lunch with Lipton's chicken noodle cup a soup. We called them crimples.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We don’t have a White Castle here, but we have Krystals. I love those things. We get a craving for them every 2 months or so. We get a sack of 10, split to 5 burgers and 5 cheeseburgers. If we’re really feeling like pigging out, we add a couple of Chili Cheese Pups, a few Krystal Chicks, and some Chili Cheese fries.

I really think microwaves were made for Krystal burgers. About 10-15 seconds, and the burger comes out just as hot and fresh as when you bought it. It’s magic! :lol:
yup same with castles

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:flowers:
thank you sweetie!! so a basic baking powder biscuit with broth instead of milk. no salt because it is in the broth right? do you add less liquid because they are boiled? and cooked in broth with chicken, not baked. any veggies added to the chicken and broth? (i use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco butter flavored shortening for my biscuits and a pinch of baking soda and wheat germ) cool!!

you are welcome the finished dumplings look so good.

Great idea on the butter flavored Crisco. What's the wheat germ for? Only veggie is a few celery tops to season the chicken broth.

Chow - Never heard of crimples, but that is a neat idea.....kind of like a fat egg noodle.

Thanks Keltin :flowers:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I guess not Peepers. I don't really think about it, I just mix it all with a wooden spoon until it looks good. I cut the butter into thin pieces so it mixes up better.

ooh, you know what else makes a good "dumpling"? Take an egg, mix it up with a fork, add some dry parsley and then add a lot of flour. Mix it until it's really thick and not drippy. Almost dry, but the flour should disappear and the mixture is yellow. Then grab a forkfull and use your finger to push it into the boiling soup. My mother used to make this all the time for lunch with Lipton's chicken noodle cup a soup. We called them crimples.
sounds a little bit like spatzel.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
:flowers:

Great idea on the butter flavored Crisco. What's the wheat germ for? Only veggie is a few celery tops to season the chicken broth.

Chow - Never heard of crimples, but that is a neat idea.....kind of like a fat egg noodle.

Thanks Keltin :flowers:
thank you. mom was a health nut before it was fashionable. wheat germ is very nutrious and gives a nutty flavor. mom would replace 1 Tbls per cup of flour with 1 Tbls of wheat germ in most of her flour recipes like pancakes/waffles, pie crust, biscuits and such. and she added wheat germ to her bread dough also but she didn't measure it for bread. and so do i because things just taste flat without the wheat germ.

chowhound

sounds a little bit like spatzel.

Spatzel? Are those those Christmas cookies that look like snowflakes, fall apart when you pick them up and taste like that red candy?
:lol: kidding... I never heard of spatzel though. Looks like a trip to wiki is in order.

homecook

Spatzel? Are those those Christmas cookies that look like snowflakes, fall apart when you pick them up and taste like that red candy?
:lol: kidding... I never heard of spatzel though. Looks like a trip to wiki is in order.

LOL.........it's what I make when I have chicken paprikash...

I like your definition better..:mrgreen:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
They're European....the Polish, Slovaks, Germans, etc. all call them spaetzel and are typically made the same.
i had them at a german resturant as spatzel and cheese (mac and cheese) and it was yummy!!

homecook

i had them at a german resturant as spatzel and cheese (mac and cheese) and it was yummy!!

Now that I've never seen...........it's usually served with schnitzel (sp?), buttered as a side dish. Also served with goulash or paprikash. Each to his own I guess.

Meme4251

gosh, all of this looks delicious...Been away from puter still having more tests done. Have not felt well so sorry I have not been participating since I joined. If I can just read for awhile, I feel joy. You all here have been a joy to be around. Just wish I could help out more. Barb, super soup! Cooksie, have not forgot about you my dear either about the dressing. I loved your dumplings also...I wing mine also but use only flour, egg and salt, then in a big chicken hen broth seasoned real well. Actually, mine are noodles which after I roll and cut, I then let them sit to sort of dry a little bit, not dry and in to the broth. Kids love these so I have to make a bunch. Have a good one

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
gosh, all of this looks delicious...Been away from puter still having more tests done. Have not felt well so sorry I have not been participating since I joined. If I can just read for awhile, I feel joy. You all here have been a joy to be around. Just wish I could help out more. Barb, super soup! Cooksie, have not forgot about you my dear either about the dressing. I loved your dumplings also...I wing mine also but use only flour, egg and salt, then in a big chicken hen broth seasoned real well. Actually, mine are noodles which after I roll and cut, I then let them sit to sort of dry a little bit, not dry and in to the broth. Kids love these so I have to make a bunch. Have a good one
i hope you feel better soon.

Meme4251

thank you Barb for being so kind. Also, loved your pics you took with the apron. Now I can put a face to the name. Helps me out...Hope you have a very nice Labor Day and you take care. BTW, I saw you have your 19 yr. at home with you and DH. My youngest son, Dustin, age 23 also has not left the nest yet. Says he won't until I'm gone....My, am I lucky....LOL...Just joking, he works for ex as a welder and has been helping me out as much as possible with being ill. I'm very fortunate!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My youngest son, Dustin, age 23 also has not left the nest yet. Says he won't until I'm gone....
That sounds so sweet when your son says it, Meme. (It would scare me if my sons said it.... LOL) Seriously, I'm so sorry to here you are ill and I'll keep you in my thoughts. (I had wondered where you were and was hoping you were off on a fabulous, late-summer vacation. I wish that had been it!)

Meme4251

Thank you Terry...Been thinking about ya to. Was wondering if you went back to your moms'. Yes, I am very thankful for such a thoughtful child. Dustin is the only one that has never married nor got close to it yet, where my other 3 are all married and they are the ones with my grandchildren. I love reading all the good posts and recipes here but am sorry I have not been able to contribute like I should. I'll get on my feet soon I hope and will come out in full force! LOL.....Thanks again for the well wishes.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Don't worry about being able to share recipes right now, Meme - at least you have recipes to share! I feel like a leach sometimes cuz the only recipes I have are from here!

Only one of my kids has married yet and no one has given me grandkids, sigh. So I had one of my own - my 7 year old Fisher. He assures me he will give me loads of grandkids, though. LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Don't worry about being able to share recipes right now, Meme - at least you have recipes to share! I feel like a leach sometimes cuz the only recipes I have are from here!

Only one of my kids has married yet and no one has given me grandkids, sigh. So I had one of my own - my 7 year old Fisher. He assures me he will give me loads of grandkids, though. LOL
you gave YOURSELF a grand kid? hmmmmmmmmmmmm how did you manage that tricky skipping a generation? LOL

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL, I was just joking. I was rather "mature" when he was born so people kept asking me how I managed to breastfeed my grandbaby! I decided rather than argue, I would just go with it!

Meme4251

that's how I have felt being a "leach" here because I have gained so much but given so little. I just like everything and everyone here, so for now, I am going to continue learning from each of you and hopefully start cooking and posting then. BTW, you cracked me up about Fisher telling you he'll give you PLENTY grandkids. LOL! Had my 2 youngest yesterday. They had a school day off for some reason...Man, just started and yesterday was a school holiday. You take care Terry and have a nice Labor Day!