Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Meats Forum > Veal Forum

Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Grill Master

buckytom is on a distinguished road
Default Buckytom's Veal and Peppers (with pictures)

yay for me. i get to post the very first veal recipe here at nct!!

ok, so, bear with me on the pictures. it's one of the first times i've taken pictures of the steps involved in making a dish. and i ain't no ansel adams.

this dish is one of my all time favourites. serve it with pasta, and a healthy shaving of locatelli cheese.

ingredients:

4 lbs. round bone veal chops, cut into cubes and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper
3 large green peppers, cut into large chunks
1 large spanish onion, cut into large chunks
1 head of garlic, cloves sliced
2 (28 oz) cans of whole tomatoes
3/4 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper
olive oil

directions:

cut the round bone veal chops into large cubes, removing any thick silver skin and excessive fat. season well with freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

next, brown about half of the meat in olive oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. this was pushing it, so i cranked the heat up as high as it would go.

while the meat is browning, empty 2 large cans of whole or chopped tomatoes, crushing well by hand into a 6 quart stock pot. i used 1 can of cento san marzano whole tomatoes, and 1 can of muir glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes.

when it's got good color, add the first batch of meat to the tomatoes, and brown the second batch.

add the second batch of browned meat to the pot.

deglaze the pan with some red wine, add liquid to the pot as well. you should have developed a good fond like this:

next, peel and slice a head of garlic, and peel and cut the spanish onion into chunks. put saute pan over medium/low heat, and toast the garlic in olive oil, being careful not to burn it.

when it's golden and soft, add it to the meat and sauce.

see part 2 for the rest of the instructions: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums...ead.php?t=5810

Last edited by buckytom; 04-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Queen of the Jungle

lifesaver91958 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buckytom's Veal and Peppers (with pictures)

looks good