What to do with Top Round London Broil?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On sale at $1.97/lb., I couldn't pass it up.

What do I do with it?

Lee

Attachments

• Top round london broil.JPG
    Top round london broil.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,088

Johnny West

I marinade in bourbon, olive oil, black pepper, garlic, and WOR i then grill over the coals. It's a venison recipe I got from a Wild Turkey Bourbon game cook book back in the 70's. it works great for london broil and flank steak.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, this thing looks more like a roast than a steak. I wonder if grilling will work?

What about the crockpot? Would it be a good cut to chunk up toss in the crock?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
top round is the usual for a proper sear followed by a long double braise in beer & onion producing...:

DSC_0364.jpgDSC_1485.jpg

Johnny West

John, this thing looks more like a roast than a steak. I wonder if grilling will work?

What about the crockpot? Would it be a good cut to chunk up toss in the crock?

Lee

I've done them on the grille but that sounds huge - I'd worry about it being tough. It's looks like Sass and Chowder have you covered.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The marinades sound delicious - thanks, guys!

Chowderman, what's a "long double braise"?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a "long double braise" -

a 3-4 hr braise followed by overnight in the fridge followed by 2-3 hr braise next day.
same pot, same liquid, etc.

like, it's a braise - so why would not a crock pot work as well?

the cooling and reheating is the operative part. that somehow causes the collagen to 'break down more better/completer' when cooled and re-braised. I got a real explanation once, but I don't remember the details anymore . . .

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
a "long double braise" -

a 3-4 hr braise followed by overnight in the fridge followed by 2-3 hr braise next day.
same pot, same liquid, etc.

like, it's a braise - so why would not a crock pot work as well?

the cooling and reheating is the operative part. that somehow causes the collagen to 'break down more better/completer' when cooled and re-braised. I got a real explanation once, but I don't remember the details anymore . . .

Chowderman - Alton Brown went into that process in one of he's Good Eats episodes. Said cook then cool overnight then cook again next day makes the end result more tender. I think he did a pot roast that way or some other beef cut. Around my house it would never make it to the fridge and survive till the next day. LOL

Lee - You may be able to find a YouTube etc. of that episode. He was very good at teaching the technology behind his methods with cute pictures and cartoons.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
that 'dish' is named in our family after my MIL - "MHP Hash"
don't know why she called it hash - but it's shredded beef in its own juice - thickened a bit - over mashed potatoes.

it's planned as two day dish prep - I dimly recall the rationale went like a long low temp braise breaks the collagen down into gelatin - which, after cooling, will then 'dissolve' into the cooking liquid on reheat.

I've seen the same effect with stewed chicken - reheating that thick gelatinous mass from the stew cycle - it breaks down/thins out and really sends the flavors into orbit.