1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
Bread Crumbs (Optional)
Flour
2 cups Beef or Pork Stock
Canola Oil
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Procedure

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Start with ground pork. I have a grinder, and I ground up a pork butt and froze several 1 pound bags of it a while back. So tonight I started with 1 pound of ground pork. I only used half, so the other half pound will be tomorrow’s dinner.

In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, diced shallot, minced garlic, and Teriyaki sauce. Mix well. If the mixture is too loose for your liking, add a little bread crumb to firm it up. I didn’t use bread crumbs this time.

Shape the pork mixture into a uniform patty. Now, coat that patty thoroughly in seasoned flour and set aside. Here’s a tip, depending on how firm your patty is, it is best to hold the patty in your hand over the bowl of flour. Now grab pinches of flour and sprinkle it over the patty in your other hand. Keep this up, reshaping as needed, until it is well covered with flour.

In a skillet, add enough oil to just cover the bottom and get about 1/16 of an inch deep. Heat the oil and then fry the flour coated patty on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side, to form a nice crust. Remove from the oil and place on a baking sheet and put it in the oven to finish cooking; about 15 or so minutes.

In the same skillet, drain off all but 2 Tbsp of oil and then add 2 Tbsp of the seasoned flour to make a roux. Now slowly stir in the Beef or Pork stock to make a gravy. Set aside.

When ready, serve the patty over rice with gravy, or with mashed potatoes and gravy. I opted for mashed potatoes. The great thing about making mashed potatoes is you can make as little or as much as you want. I used three medium sized potatoes for my mashed potatoes tonight.

I also added a can of tomato succotash as a side.

Tip!

Here’s a tip on mashed potatoes I learned from my grandfather when I was 17. If you don’t have milk to make your mashed potatoes, then save some of the water the potatoes cooked in and use it instead! Works great. Also, you can use chicken stock instead of milk for some very flavorful potatoes. Lastly, a friend of mine likes to add mayo to their mashed potatoes, but I haven’t gone there yet! :biggrin:

Notes

You know, I dirtied up a lot of pots and pans and utensils doing this tonight. It occurred to me that this is a lot of work for one person’s meal, and there must be a better way! My future “For One” recipes will not only be for one, but will concentrate on simplicity and minimizing mess - so less dishes! Also, even though these recipes are For One, you can double, triple, etc as needed to feed more.

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,116
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,107
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,199
  • step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,188
  • step6.jpg
    step6.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,195
  • step7.jpg
    step7.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,096
  • step8.jpg
    step8.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • step9.jpg
    step9.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • step9a.jpg
    step9a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,121

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I hope you do. It's pretty good. A nice crunchy outside and a tender juicy inside.....and of course......GRAVY! :lol:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmmMMMMM!

I still have a pound of ground pork in the freezer, looking to be used.

This meal and the meatballs-in-sauce meal would take care of that beautifully!

Thanks, K!

Lee