Rainbow Trout

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
took a ride to our closest Wegman's - which has the best seafood availability....

found some rainbow trout - with head about one pound each - bit larger than the usual.

my version of Garden Fresh Trout - I like to stuff the cavity so the insides don't dry out - a modified pico-de-guyo - but heated through prior to stuffing the trout.

urp....
DSC_2798.jpg

starts out:
DSC_2787.jpg

four minutes per side, then 10 minutes in a 300'F oven in the hot pan.
I use a instant read thermometer looking for 140'F in the thickest part of the filet; these took 15 minutes due to their size....
DSC_2791.jpg

DSC_2792.jpg

flakes off nicely:
DSC_2794.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, I know almost nothing about trout.

The one time I tried it, I was in New Mexico, and the trout topped a salad. The trout flesh was brown, and I didn't care for it at all.

I wonder if I would like your white-fleshed trout. Is it fishy-tasting?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hmmm, wonder if you were treated to "smoked trout" as a salad enhancement.....that obviously has different (and stronger) flavor than fresh. and,,,, I've met very little smoked trout that I care for.....

there are people who pass on fresh trout because they say it does not have a taste. I'll spare the board my opinions of that theory....

it is not a fishy fish - it has a very delicate flavor - which when over seasoned - or over salted! - can be overpowered and lost.

the meat is very delicate as well - I've never seen trout filets offered except with the skin on.

many people do not go for the whole dressed trout because - as you can see in the pix - it's got bones! cooking has to be right - such that the meat flakes off the bones - but over cooked "glues" it back on the bones..... which is why I stuff the cavity - to prevent over cooking / drying and making the 'rib' bones stick in the fish.

done right, you can flake the meat off one side, then lift up the backbone and gently tug the bones out of the other side in one go, producing the classic cartoon fish skeleton thingie....

Leni

My dad and I fished for trout in the High Sierras. Wild trout are the best. The flesh is white and the flavor is very delicate. We would take in a cast iron skillet just to cook them in. The trout would be fried in lots of butter. The butter would be poured over the fish.

You might want to try cooking trout in butter with a very tiny bit of lemon and sliced almonds. It seems to me that smoking the trout would overpower it's flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, given what you said, your trout looks as if it's perfectly cooked! I bet I would like it.

The trout I had may well have been smoked.

Leni, I would try it your way, for sure!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
butter & lemon, too! luv lemon on seafood.

i'm not a fan of trout. too muddy. then, to develop that 'zip' talent to remove its undesirable factors (throw-away/stock items)- that takes a few. & then a few beyond that. some ppl watch way too much television, & pretend that they have lived through actual situations, where they may speak of stuff they may have seen, yet not experienced or known of, personally, beyond reading & listening. until given a fish & a knife or 2. tweezers & a side towel. i'd luv to see 'em squirm while that fish flops about & they panic.

Last edited: