Tomatoes!! Lots of em!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Well there was this outrageous buy where for $2 you could get a whole box full of on the vine tomatoes! So I bought them. 15 bunches of em!
Now..... what to do with them!??! :blob_blue:
Ive made tomato salad with olive oil garlic and vinegar. Also sliced them and put fresh cracked pepper and sea salt on em.

Im out of ideas. :confused:

Leni

Salsa, home made tomato sauce, pizza sauce, sundried tomatoes, blanch and freeze them, BLT's.

For breakfast seed them, crumble some bacon into the bottom, crack an egg into it and put into the oven. Top with cheese.

Make tabbouli. Soak a cup of bulgar wheat with lemon juice. Add a bunch each of chopped mint, green onions, parsley and tomato. Serve that with pita bread or lettuce.

Make a Caprise salad. I don't have the recipe handy but it is basically tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.

Stuff them with tuna salad.

I will slice tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper and red onion. Put this into a covered bowl with 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 water with salt and pepper. Add some basil or other herbs of your choice. Allow to marinade over night. Drain and serve on a bed of lettuce. Actually I start this at the begining of summer and add to it all summer long. The vinegar keeps it from going bad. The juices of the veggies add flavor to the liquid. I add more vinegar as needed. If it gets too tart just add a little sugar before serving.

Last edited:

Ian M.

Ive made tomato salad with olive oil garlic and vinegar. Also sliced them and put fresh cracked pepper and sea salt on em.

Im out of ideas. :confused:

There's always BLT's and homemade tomato soup. If you're into this sort of thing, you can can them (hot pack method) and that's always good and I've got a cookbook exclusively about everything and anything to do with vegetables-I'd be glad to share some recipes with you having to do with tomatoes. Or you and and Jack (Daniels) could always make up some interesting Bloody Marys?

Ian :bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M.

DS, I offered my meager ideas before I'd even stopped to read the post right before my previous one. She's definitely got better ideas than I had and I'd sure go with hers! But the cookbook's always around if you run out of things to do with your riches. And just while I'm in the neighborhood, there's nothing in this world I love more on a hot summer day then Leni's offering of the tuna salad in the tomato. Those are like pure heaven!

Ian :whistling:

Leni

Gee thanks Ian!

Another idea that just came to me. Why not stuff it with a chicken salad? Why not hollow the tomato out and then chop that up minus seeds, add chunks of cheese, basil, salt and pepper with olive oil or a good basalmic vinegar. Serve as is or put it into the oven.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
recipe-0011.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
guess it's time to post this e-book.............

Attachments

• tomato.pdf
    338.7 KB · Views: 299

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Well I made pretty much EVERYTHING you folks recommended! I didnt can any. Those stuffed tomatoes were FANTASTIC! Made them with the BLT recipe, tuna recipe AND chicken salad recipe. I think my favorite was the BLT stuffed tomato and the chicken salad one. I tried the tabbouli but I screwed that up .
Thanks again folks! :blob_blue:

High Cheese

Saucier
You can make tomato confit and store it in a container with it's juices. Add the tomatoes to pastas, salads or wherever you might use a sun dried tomato.

Slice the tomatoes in half and remove the goo and seeds. Lay cut side down on a baking sheet, season with salt, pepper, oregano, fresh basil and olive oil. Sometimes I use herbs d' provence, but you can use whatever you want.

Bake them at 200-225 for 2 hours, then flip and bake for another 2 hours. Here's one of the recipes where I use them. Not sure how long they stay in a container.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955&highlight=eggplant+parmesan