Best/Worst Chains, Fast Food, etc.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Taco Bell is on the best list? That place always gives me the shits...

:yum: My husband says that about Burger King - which I found surprising that it wasn't on any of the lists (or at least I didn't see it) and KFC wasn't on there either...hmmmmm :huh:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I rarely eat at any of those places--I have gotten sick at Applebee's and TGIFridays. I use to go there. I can't stomach fast food at all--it won't stay down or makes me really sick to my stomach. Even the healthier options seem to be too salty for me. This is what happens to you when you are on a heart healthy diet most of the time and have food sensitivites.

Renfro Jones

Has anyone ever eaten at a Noodle's & Company, I love the Pad Thai there. They just opened one a few months ago, there home base is Boulder Colo. As far as TGIF the only thing that keeps them in business is the booze.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not much on fast food especially burger joints but will eat a Subway or Quiznos. As for the TGIF, Outbacks, Olive Garden and other chain restaurants it really depends on the particular store. For example I ate in an Olive Garden in Florida that was horrible and the one in Lexington is excellent we also have a good TGIF but Outback as fallen off lately. I've never had anything in an Applebee's that I liked so avoid them. The same can be said for most chain stores as well as what night you go in to eat can also effect the meals you might get.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm not much on fast food especially burger joints but will eat a Subway or Quiznos. As for the TGIF, Outbacks, Olive Garden and other chain restaurants it really depends on the particular store. For example I ate in an Olive Garden in Florida that was horrible and the one in Lexington is excellent we also have a good TGIF but Outback as fallen off lately. I've never had anything in an Applebee's that I liked so avoid them. The same can be said for most chain stores as well as what night you go in to eat can also effect the meals you might get.

Very true. Hubby and I ate at an Outback about 10 years ago and the food was so bad that we refuse to go in another one ever again :yuk:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We used to eat at one is Pompano Beach Florida that was great and from the most part they have been good regardless, however lately the one here has slipped to what I would call poor. It seems they have changed their walkabout soup which I always liked. One place I've like is Cracker Barrel especially lunch and breakfast though to be honest never had a dinner there. I've also gotten some good breakfasts around the country while traveling at Denny's though not all are good.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Very true. Hubby and I ate at an Outback about 10 years ago and the food was so bad that we refuse to go in another one ever again :yuk:

We did that with a Deep Pan Pizza . It was so bad we complained to the head office and got a voucher. It took us 3 or 4 years before we used.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Has anyone ever eaten at a Noodle's & Company, I love the Pad Thai there. They just opened one a few months ago, there home base is Boulder Colo. As far as TGIF the only thing that keeps them in business is the booze.

We have, its very good!

Here, how good the fast food is depends on the neighborhood. Never go to a KFC here, go up the road to Oak Park instead. The one here the cooks apparently are in love with salt.... blech!

Same with the Burger King and McDonalds, they taste salty and the staff never says thanks or anything. They all act like they hate their jobs and let it show. And the shake machine at the Burger King on Cicero Ave. has been broken now for six months, jeesh.
Old Country Buffet, horrible!! We have gotten so many free meals cause of the problems, we don't even use them anymore. Gave them three chances to clean up their act, they still haven't so we gave away the last set they sent us.

smoke king

Banned
I'm with Susan-I stopped eating "fast food" altogether back in 2001-and now I can't stand the sight/smell of the stuff.

As far as the chain restaraunts go, I would have to agree that each one should be judged individually. I generally like Tony Roma's, but ate at one in Las Vegas a few years back that was just disgusting.

My wife and grandson took me out for my birthday the other night to a place called "Texas Roadhouse"-anyone ever try it? The food was pretty good, basic steaks, ribs, chops etc. and the atmosphere was very upbeat. The wait staff were very friendly, and overall the experience was fun. I will likely go back there. What did you think of it?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We had several Tony Roma's in Florida that where really good however those here in Lexington are pretty bad. I've eaten it a couple of Texas Roadhouse while traveling and they have always been pretty good with basic foods and good service. I would go back to a Texas Roadhouse again. I've also had good luck with a few of the Shoney's in North Carolina, Florida but haven't seen one here. We rarely eat out except when traveling and the times my partner is in town (once or twice a year) and we usually go out to the better restaurants in the area. A few of which are pretty outstanding.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my favorite chain restaurant will always be Aweful House i mean Waffle House.. its always greasy, the services generally sucks but i am addicted to their food..lol

As for bad ones, we ate at a Joes Crab Shack one time, our appetizers tasted horrible, we sent them back. our meal came out, we sent it back, tasted horrible.

the manager came out and asked us what was wrong, we told him. he asked us what we did like about the meal, we told him... the coke..lol

we have not been back to one since..lol

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
my favorite chain restaurant will always be Aweful House i mean Waffle House.. its always greasy, the services generally sucks but i am addicted to their food..lol

As for bad ones, we ate at a Joes Crab Shack one time, our appetizers tasted horrible, we sent them back. our meal came out, we sent it back, tasted horrible.

the manager came out and asked us what was wrong, we told him. he asked us what we did like about the meal, we told him... the coke..lol

we have not been back to one since..lol

We don't have a Waffle House or a Joe's Crab shack out here. Sounds like we're not missing anything....???

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is the Joe's Stone Crab in Florida, and if so then you picked a strange night. Last time I tried to go there I was told you can't get a reservation for a year as they are sold out and booked solid. My wife worked at ocean reef with one of the chef's from there as they are only open a few months a year. :ohmy:

Now that would seem amazing to me except based on your Waffle house statement. I have eaten in 3 of them in various parts of the country and they all have the same thing in common, runny scrambled eggs, semi cooked hash browns and microwave Bacon. Don't even ask me about their choke "coffee or their grits". Greasy, semi cooked foods with poor service about sums it up exactly. :yuk::puke1:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We don't have a Waffle House or a Joe's Crab shack out here. Sounds like we're not missing anything....???

For Waffle house every exit along I10, I95 or I75 has one. Oh and I miss read Bam's statement above as I've never heard of Joe's Crab house only Joe's Stone Crab in South Florida which is a supper restaurant. :oops:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That is the Joe's Stone Crab in Florida, and if so then you picked a strange night. Last time I tried to go there I was told you can't get a reservation for a year as they are sold out and booked solid. My wife worked at ocean reef with one of the chef's from there as they are only open a few months a year. :ohmy:
No, Joe's Crab Shack is a completely different restaurant than Joe's Stone Crab. It's a chain and it's not known for the quality of the food. But like most chains, some are better than others. I eat there occasionally here and in Houston because it's very kid-friendly. They all have a huge sand-box playground for the kids and the atmosphere is noisy and very casual.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like the Texas Road House and have enjoyed quite a few Waffle House meals. Cracker Barrel is one of our favorites when the whole family goes out because the menu is simple, varied, down-home foods and it's also kid-friendly. Not fabulous food but OK and plenty of vegetarian offerings for my kids who don't eat meat.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
joes crab shack is a chain

all the waffle house i have eaten fry their bacon right in front of me and use a bacon press..

i have actually eaten at some pretty good ones. the best was in phoenix AZ and one in Tx somewhere.

i dont care for cracker barrel because i find for what i pay, i dont get great portion control. i am a big guy and like to eat, maybe it was just the locations i have eaten at

Now that would seem amazing to me except based on your Waffle house statement. I have eaten in 3 of them in various parts of the country and they all have the same thing in common, runny scrambled eggs, semi cooked hash browns and microwave Bacon. Don't even ask me about their choke "coffee or their grits". Greasy, semi cooked foods with poor service about sums it up exactly. :yuk::puke1:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No, Joe's Crab Shack is a completely different restaurant than Joe's Stone Crab. It's a chain and it's not known for the quality of the food. But like most chains, some are better than others. I eat there occasionally here and in Houston because it's very kid-friendly. They all have a huge sand-box playground for the kids and the atmosphere is noisy and very casual.

It didn't dawn on me when he said Joe's and I automatically tied it to Joe's Stone Crab which I didn't think was a chain. Now knowing Jeff is a Canadian, means I'm sure he has been to Florida as some point in his life. Just go to any beach on the east coast and look, mostly Canadians as far as the eye can see. :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
all the waffle house i have eaten fry their bacon right in front of me and use a bacon press..

i have actually eaten at some pretty good ones. the best was in phoenix AZ and one in Tx somewhere.

Now that you mention it there is one just off I 10 in Vidor Texas that was good but the only one I've eaten at that wasn't like I described.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yes i am canadian and yes i have been to florida..lmao:shock:

i use to work in West Palm Beach and use to live in Fort Meyers.

its just about time for all the snowbirds to come home..lmao

It didn't dawn on me when he said Joe's and I automatically tied it to Joe's Stone Crab which I didn't think was a chain. Now knowing Jeff is a Canadian, means I'm sure he has been to Florida as some point in his life. Just go to any beach on the east coast and look, mostly Canadians as far as the eye can see. :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
yes i am canadian and yes i have been to florida..lmao:shock:

i use to work in West Palm Beach and use to live in Fort Meyers.

its just about time for all the snowbirds to come home..lmao

Some how I knew that and the tought brought back the picture burned into my mind of a 300+ lb Canadian in a speedo on Pompano Beach. I often wonder where green peace was when we really needed them. :alc:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have a Joe's Crab Shack here, it is in a nicer upscale neighborhood and does a ton of business, so DW and I have been thinking of giving it a try one of these days.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well if I am ever in Florida I will remember that... course from the sound of it I should probably make reservations before I even get there!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
About a year ahead or you won't get in. It usually filled with celebrities (including sports stars), government officials, world famous chefs and the filthy rich when opened.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The prices are fair but just a very good place to eat. Now there was a time when you just showed up and got served no problem.