Mise en place - Who does, who does not to and why.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have been trying to do Mise en place as much as I can. I used to cook by the chaos technique. I started with a clean counter ended up with subs for my subs and ended up with a good meal in a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off.

I am trying to start making sure that I have everything I need before I start. I'm liking it, I think the meals show it too.

Just curious what y'all do.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If I'm doing a stir fry, I definitely do mise en place. Everything with a stir fry goes very quickly. I cut and put stuff in paper bowls or on paper plates, put sauce ingredients and the slurry in coffee cups, and then partially clean up before I start cooking.

When I bake anything, it looks like a bomb went off in my kitchen.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
It depends. Something like stir fry, fried rice, or anything where ingredients get added in quick succession, then yes I do. If it's something like pot roast where things have a good bit of cooking time in between, then no.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
me three on the "when complicated" thing - or many ingredients - or when timing counts . . .

a habit that works for me (but I have time . . .) is "prepping" - if I need a pot of boiling water for pasta / potatoes / veggies / whatever, I'll put that on the cooktop on low an hour ahead. measure out the pasta, for example, a leave it sit. I find this helps with the timing / coordination bit - I can jack up the heat and get the water to a boil right quick - avoids having overcooked mushy green beans while waiting for the (oops need a pot of hot..) thing....

me and my linguine for two....

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 178

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do mise en place when a) there are many ingredients, and/or b)quick timing is an issue, like making pizzas on the grill, and/or c) I'm having company and prep ahead so I can spend more time with them in the living room.

I have my two spice cabinets over the counter, next to the stove, so usually I just grab and sprinkle, and chop as I go. In fact, often I don't read all the way through the recipe before I start to cook it, and that gets me scrambling at times!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I usually have everything out and organized when I do cook something time consuming. and am OCD as far as cleaning and wiping as I go lol

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
well, in school, we were made to put items in order, & to place knives in order, as well as other tools--they would grade u on that-- went well w/ my OCD-- it's not a habit easily put aside--