Artichokes

abi_csi

I've been tempted by my greengrocer to purchase some fresh artichokes - one problem, what do I do with them??? Help!!!!!!! :)

Guts

those stuffed artichokes look nice, but I prefer just a cooked artichoke with some Best Foods mayonnaise maybe a side of drawn butter. It must be that time again artichokes love him. About the only food that I enjoy with a glass a wine. I'm not a wine drinker or for that matter a drinker at all. Sorry to say, alcohol is out of my diet completely. Health reasons. Just give me a plane artichoke and a glass of wine Yum Yum Yum.I will have to look at the store see if I can find a nice big one, I don't much care for the little guys or the medium-size. I also prefer the globe over the Jerusalem artichoke.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love them both ways - stuffed, and plain steamed with butter.

The steamed are much easier. I serve them with little cups of butter that's been melted in the microwave with a crushed clove of garlic in each cup, and a squeeze of fresh lemon.

Fantastic!

Lee

Guts

I do use a steamer sometimes, but most the time I just plop them in some boiling water and cook until the leaves pullout easy or with just a little tug. Drain them ! put the artichoke in a small bowl. Serve with some drawn butter,and some mayonnaise in separate dipping sized bowls. Oh I almost forgot I add the juice from half of lemon to the water and then throw the lemon half in the water also. this is my favorite way to have artichokes that is whole fresh ones.

I love artichokes. You could steam them in a slow cooker with chicken broth & lemon juice & serve w/ aioli. If they are baby artichokes, they can be roasted. One of my favorites is artichoke mashed potatoes -- although I have used canned hearts. You could steam them, chop them up, add to mashed potatoes w/ half-and-half or milk, butter, & parmesan & garlic, if you like. Alternately, you could grill them & serve w/ lemon aioli, i.e.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/07/grilled-artichokes-with-lemon-aioli.html