Alice Fazekas' Pizzelles

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Alice Fazekas' Pizzelles
My Hungarian neighbor, Mrs. Alice Fazekas, may she rest in peace, gave this Italian cookie recipe to me. She recently passed and I wanted to share her recipe to help keep her memory alive.

Comments: Pizzelles are addictive and a single recipe yields lots of cookies. Although they are easy to make, one does need a special pizzelle iron. These cookies are great drizzled with semisweet chocolate or white chocolate. Also one can mold them into a cone shape or cigarette and fill with sweetened whipped cream. Alice likes to make vanilla, almond and anise-flavored but you can use lemon or orange extracts as well.
Variation: I also have the Lanese family recipe that is very similar. The difference is that it has 2 cups of melted sweet butter in the batter instead of the 3/4 cup oil. I find that the butter burns more easily than the oil. So you have to watch themcarefully as they bake super quickly.

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 eggs (or 5 eggs if they are Jumbos)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
pinch of salt
grated orange peel, optional
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons other flavoring (almond and/or anise extract in a two to one ratio with the vanilla extract)

Directions:
Beat the eggs and the sugar. Add the oil, salt, grated orange peel and vanilla. If desired, divide the batter and add the flavorings that you prefer. Then, follow your pizelle irons’ directions to make the cookies. Store them in a tight tin because they tend to get soft when they are left out.