Your Favorite Christmas Cookie

Jim54

I need a recipe. I do like chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, and sugar cookies. However, I do not have recipes for these and also am wondering if you have a special cookie to leave for Saint Nike :D.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I am actually making my favorite cookies today. Pecan Tassies. They are like mini pecan pies. Santa, on the other hand, has always enjoyed my peanut butter fudge though. Here's my recipe for pecan tassies

pecan-tassies-0.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my favorite are pecan tassies, thumbprint jewels and my moms shortbread cookies that have had a chance to age for at least a week.

all your cookies look just like christmas at home Mama

Jim54

I am actually making my favorite cookies today. Pecan Tassies. They are like mini pecan pies. Santa, on the other hand, has always enjoyed my peanut butter fudge though. Here's my recipe for pecan tassies

pecan-tassies-0.jpg

Yummy! This is a real possibility. I need to go to the store RIGHT NOW :)

Jim54

Yummy! This is a real possibility. I need to go to the store RIGHT NOW :)

I was checking on ebay for that nut chopper you mention but found the recipe for the Pecan Tassies... for sale... 99cent. How to you want my payment? hehehe

Jim54

I made them :) Mama, I think I didn't make the indentation deep enough. I had a lot of the filling left over. But they were so good that I only had about 3/4 of them left to take a picture. For sure I will make them again!

PC124591_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i haven't got a recipe. my faves were my Grandparents' nut horns.

QuirkyCookery

Strangely enough, as much as I like to play around with food, for Christmas, I like the traditional chocolate chip cookie. And for Santa? That recipe comes straight off the back of the chocolate chip bag. They're delicious, the recipe is simple, and it's part of our tradition of making them together with the kids, so nothing fancy.

Mr. Green Jeans

My grandmother's lebkuchen were a favorite partly because it was my job to harvest and husk the black walnuts. She would bake the cookies Thanksgiving weekend and store them in a crock. They were brought out Christmas Eve and she frosted them with white icing.
Right up there would be kalochkies (help with spelling Barb) which at our house were usually made with apricot or raspberry filling.

Jim54

Strangely enough, as much as I like to play around with food, for Christmas, I like the traditional chocolate chip cookie. And for Santa? That recipe comes straight off the back of the chocolate chip bag. They're delicious, the recipe is simple, and it's part of our tradition of making them together with the kids, so nothing fancy.

That is what I do with a lot of dishes. As a bachelor, it is hard to justify the mess of starting from scratch.

Jim54

My grandmother's lebkuchen were a favorite partly because it was my job to harvest and husk the black walnuts. She would bake the cookies Thanksgiving weekend and store them in a crock. They were brought out Christmas Eve and she frosted them with white icing.
Right up there would be kalochkies (help with spelling Barb) which at our house were usually made with apricot or raspberry filling.

I think you are talking about "kolackies". I grew up in part of Brazil where there were a lot of east Europeans. They made the delightful jam cookies. I had almost forgotten about them. I will have to look up a recipe and try them out.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad you liked them Jim! You should have gotten about 48 cookies out of a batch. You could always make up a batch of biscuit dough, roll it out, spread with the filling, roll it up, slice and bake then drizzle with some icing make with powdered sugar and a little milk :wink:

I made them :) Mama, I think I didn't make the indentation deep enough. I had a lot of the filling left over. But they were so good that I only had about 3/4 of them left to take a picture. For sure I will make them again!

PC124591_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

GotGarlic

My favorite Christmas cookies are Russian tea cakes, aka Mexican wedding cookies. My mom made them every year when I was growing up. You can use various kinds of nuts, but I like them best with pecans: Russian tea cakes

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
My favourite is an italian S shaped cookie. The dough is very simple and then its shaped into an S shape. It gets a glaze which has a hint of anise, and topped with multi coloured sugar. It's a very soft cookie. Happy to share the recipe if you'd like.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'd LOVE to see the recipe Vera! I'm always on the lookout for new TNT cookie recipes!

I'm going to try something new today. It's a chocolate cake like cookie topped with a marshmallow and covered with a buttercream type frosting. I think I'm going to put an indentation in the cookie and add some raspberry jam then top with the marshmallow and cover in a ganache instead of the frosting. Sounds good so we'll see......

Ronjohn

At the risk of being labeled a heretic and kicked off this cooking board, my favorite Christmas cookies are actually the cheap little shortbread/butter cookies you get at the store (Usually in a plastic tub). I don't know why, they just are. :huh:

That's not to say I don't like a lot of the homemade stuff that turns up around the holidays. I very much do.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My favorite Christmas cookies are Russian tea cakes, aka Mexican wedding cookies. My mom made them every year when I was growing up. You can use various kinds of nuts, but I like them best with pecans: Russian tea cakes

Mine, too, GG!

They have been a tradition in my family since I was a little girl.

Lee

Jim54

At the risk of being labeled a heretic and kicked off this cooking board, my favorite Christmas cookies are actually the cheap little shortbread/butter cookies you get at the store (Usually in a plastic tub). I don't know why, they just are. :huh:

I'm like you, Ron. Those cookies melt in your mouth! I will have some of those available as well :)

Some of my favorite Holiday cookies are:

Rugelach - I used to help (mostly watch), my grandmaother make them around Chanukah. She filled them with chopped walnuts, raisins & cinnamon/sugar. You can fill them w/ chocolate chips, nuts, jam (raspberry etc.), & so on. Don't have her recipe, but can give you a few links.

Italian Christmas cookies. My neighbors on the east & west coast always brought some over for the holidays. Lost/misplaced the recipe - but found a recipe that sounds better (more cake-like & made w/ ricotta). Didn't much care for the harder cookie made w a heavy taste of anise.

Pizelles - Luv them. Might look for a pizellemaker. Have a link for the recipe, if you like.