Equal sized cookies

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yesterday I was thinking of making my Double Chocolate Pecan Crunchy Cake Cookies to bake ahead for an upcoming church bake sale, but I wanted to get some consistency to the size of each cookie, and a teaspoon from the kitchen drawer was not the answer. Neither was a mellon baller, because the dough gets stuck in the cup. So I started looking online for a small disher, but the ones I found were all $19.95 + shipping, which I thought was too expensive. So I called my local restaurant supply and was told they had quite a few sizes available. So off I went to see what they had.

Sure enough I found this unit which has worked very well for me:

P1010385.jpg

P1010387.jpg

Here's how the cookie dough portions out on the sheet pan:

P1010384.jpg

And here are the finished cookies, which all measured 2" across. I made the dough fairly stiff, so next time I'll add a couple of tablespoons of water so the dough spreads a bit more.

P1010388.jpg

I'll probably be adding a couple more sizes of dishers to my kitchen tools to gain greater consistency in the end product, if nothing more than to improve presentation.

suziquzie

Nice scoop!
We use those at work to get all our muffins consistent..... ok the adults do.... the retarded teenagers cant be bothered to read the friggin # on the scoop.
I've been meaning to look into a couple for cookies at home myself.
(p.s. ..... that last one in the bottom row looks like it may have been the "taste test" eh?)

Calicolady

Cool and yummy Joe.
I was going to suggest an ice cream scoop. That's what everyone seems to use now adays.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yup, I use an ice cream scoop too! I have two sizes a small one and a medium sized one. And I do use the medium sized one on occasion to get the 'big' cookies.

smoke king

Banned
Thats the same disher I use Joe...and BTW, I can vouch for Joes cookies...those have become a favorite at my house!!

No. There's all different sizes! You need to get out more!:blush:

Actually "dishers" are basically like ice cream scoops that come in all sizes from 1/2 oz. up to ones that are larger than your average ice cream scoop. Disher is the technical term used in the industry. So, you are both right! :smile:

I have a good selection of dishers I use for cookies, cupcakes, muffins, etc. When I am catering, things need to be uniform! Plus I find it goes much faster.

Hey Joe, want to know a neat trick! Next time you make cookies, and if you don't need the whole batch right away, or you have enough ingredients for a double batch, bake off the ones you want, then scoop the rest of the batter onto clean cookie sheets (parchment lined are best) and put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes or so until they are hard. Put them into freezer bags or containers and you can stick them in the oven next time you want cookies fast! Works like a charm. The dough lasts in the freezer for about 6 months. I have done this for years, but also just saw it on Good Eats this week.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks, LP. I like that tip, although it doesn't take very long to make the dough for cake mix cookies. There's always someone coming by to finish up the rest of the batch.

Thanks, also, for clearing up the disher/ice cream scoop terminology. Being a newbie, I think of ice cream scoops as being for ice cream (big freaking ball), and not for cookies (small freaking ball). :thumb:

Joe

I have a good selection of dishers I use for cookies, cupcakes, muffins, etc. When I am catering, things need to be uniform! Plus I find it goes much faster.

Hey Joe, want to know a neat trick! Next time you make cookies, and if you don't need the whole batch right away, or you have enough ingredients for a double batch, bake off the ones you want, then scoop the rest of the batter onto clean cookie sheets (parchment lined are best) and put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes or so until they are hard. Put them into freezer bags or containers and you can stick them in the oven next time you want cookies fast! Works like a charm. The dough lasts in the freezer for about 6 months. I have done this for years, but also just saw it on Good Eats this week.

GhettoRacingKid

I was using a scooper/disher but the thing after about 20 batch of cookies (not al lteh same time) the metal bow to release the dough kept on bending and stuff and it finally jsut became usless so I went back to my spoon and hand methond whcih was pretty consistant.

smoke king

Banned
I was using a scooper/disher but the thing after about 20 batch of cookies (not al lteh same time) the metal bow to release the dough kept on bending .

I had to replace mine this year at the start of "cookie season" (Christmas) for the very same reason. I think thats just an inherant design flaw.

Calicolady

Maybe try rubbing alittle shortening or veggie oil on the "bowl" of the scoop before starting to fill with "dough". The dough should release easier.

LydiaP, I freeze my potstickers and ravioli the same way for future use. Works great. Thanks for the dough tip.