Southern Pecan Bars

FryBoy

I made these this morning. They look and smell great, although I have yet to taste them. However, they pretty much consist of pecan pie filling on top of shortbread, so how could they be anything but great?

BTW, this recipe was judged “Best of Class” in the Pillsbury Bake-Off sometime prior to 1959, back when things were made from scratch.

Southern Pecan Bars

Crust:
1⅓ cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup pecans, finely chopped

Topping:
2 eggs
¾ cup dark corn syrup
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
30 pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 12" x 8" x 2" or 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan.

3. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.

4. Beat butter in mixer until creamy; add brown sugar and continue beating until well blended, about 3 to 5 minutes.

5. Add dry ingredients and mix until fine particles are formed.

6. Stir in finely chopped pecans.

7. Spread crust mixture evenly in pan and press down firmly.

8. Bake crust for 10 minutes.

9. While crust is baking, beat eggs until foamy.

10. Add corn syrup, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, salt, and vanilla to eggs and mix well; stir in coarsely chopped pecans.

11. Pour topping mixture over baked crust, spreading nuts evenly.

12. Place pecan halves on top, one for each bar.

13. Return to oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more.

14. Cool in pan; cut into 30 bars.

Attachments

• Southern Pecan Bars.jpg
    Southern Pecan Bars.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 131

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh man that would be awesome!! If I ever have to get punished and go to the corner, please please let me take a couple of these warm and an ice cold glass of milk with me!!!

lilylove

I'm really trying HARD not to head in to the kitchen right now... I have everything to make these (minus a few of the 30 pecan halves)... STOP ME!!!!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I got a better idea... how bout I don't stop you until they come out of the oven.. then I just take em and run!!

lilylove

If you promise to take them... and stop me before I lick all that yummy stuff off my fingers

I'll do it!!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OK wait.. we gotta time this... I am in Chicago.. Suzi is in MN... Trish is near Seattle... So I gotta swing up to the Twin Cities area.. then shoot straight across country to Seattle.. uh... Trish... don't start em for at least 8 hours... K?

lilylove

How about tomorrow.... truth be told my oven is in the middle of the self clean cycle.

My house stinks and the oven door is locked shut.