Bone A Fidos (dog biscuits)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use to make Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bone a Fido's for my cousin dog (My aunt's dog). I also shared them with a neighbor's animals. They make tons and were enjoyed very much. I had to go to a health food store for some of the ingredients but I didn't mind. Just use lots less kelp like 1 to 1/2 teaspoon is plenty. Kelp (seaweed) is very salty and the dogs in the neighborhood didn't like them when so much kelp was used. This recipe is great because you can vary it like Rose did. They were really fun to make.

Bone A Fidos
Based on a recipe by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Yield: 80 dog biscuit

Ingredients:
2-1/4 ts dry yeast (or packed 1 tablespoon compressed fresh)
1/4 c (liquid measure) warm water
1 pinch of sugar
3-1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 c whole wheat flour
2 c cracked wheat or 1 c cornmeal
1 c rye flour
1/2 c nonfat dry milk (lightly spooned into the cup)
4 ts kelp powder (I use lots less--very salty--Doggy test group confirmed it--I made it both ways)
4 c beef or chicken broth (can use canned broth if you don't want to make your own (liquid measure)

GLAZE:
1 large egg
2 tb milk

Line cookie sheets with parchment or aluminum foil. You will need a rolling pin and a 3-31/2" dog bone cutter or a 2 1/2" round cookie cutter will do in a pinch.

Directions:
Place 2 oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven and preheat the oven to 300F.

Directions:
Proof the yeast. Either you will sprinkle the dry yeast in 110 F water or you will crumple the compressed yeast over 100F water. Add a pinch of sugar to feed the yeast and let it proof in a draft-free spot for 10-20 minutes. The proofed yeast should be full of bubbles. If not, the yeast is too old to be useful and start again with fresh yeast. Do not continue with bad yeast as your dog biscuits won't turn out properly and you will have wasted your ingredients.
In a large bowl, blend all the dry ingredients. Next, add the yeast mixture and 3 cups of the broth. Using your hands, mix to form the dough, adding more broth if needed to make the dough smooth and supple. If you are using cracked wheat the dough will be sharp to the touch. It is the nature of the cracked wheat and is how it should be.
Half a batch at a time, knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured counter tabletop. (Keep the second batch of dough covered with a moist towel while shaping and cutting the first batch of dog biscuits so that it won't dry out.)
Roll out the dough into an 18 x 13 x 1/4" rectangle. Cut the dough into desired shapes, using a dog bone cutter or a round cookie cutter. The dog bone biscuits look really cute. Do not roll the dough to thin, roll them as thick as a commercial biscuit. Reroll the scraps. Repeat the procedure with the remaining dough.
For an attractive shine, lightly beat together the egg and milk and brush this glaze on the dog biscuits.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until brown and firm. Rotate the cookie sheets from top to bottom three quarters of the way
through to ensure even baking.
Transfer on racks and let cool completely. Allow cookie sheets to cool completely before reusing. Store the dog biscuits in an airtight container like rubbermade makes at room temperature. The dough must be used immediately. The baked biscuits will keep for many months.

Feed to your furbaby and become your dog's bestest friend! Safe for human consumption but they weren't my taste. lol