Kolachy

homecook

Here's a recipe that I've used numerous times. It comes from my grandmother.

Kolachy

1 pkg. yeast
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter
1 cup margarine
3 egg yolks
1/2 pint sour cream
sugar

Mix yeast in with flour. Cut in butter and margarine as for pie crust. Beat together egg yolks and sour cream. Add to flour mixture and mix together well. Shape into ball and wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate overnight. When ready to use only use 1/4 of the dough at a time. Sprinkle area with granulated sugar and roll dough a 1/4 inch thick, turning it over to sugar the other side. Cut with a 2-1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Make indentation in center and fill with any thick filling such as poppyseed, pineapple, apricot or cream cheese.
Bake at 350F for 20 minutes on until lightly browned.

NOTE: When my grandmother and I made these we would cut them into squares, put the filling in the middle and bring opposite points together in the middle, over the filling.

Cream Cheese Filling

Blend one 8oz. pkg. cream cheese with 1/3 cup sugar, 2 T. flour and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well.

Nut Filling

Heat 1/2 cup milk. Add 1 lb. ground walnuts, stirring until milk is absorbed. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup sugar or 1/2 cup honey. Add 1 tsp. vanilla. Cool before using.

homecook

I'll be making them. I'm making the dough today and will bake them tomorrow.

Yeah, it reminds me of making them with my Babcia.

Deelady

Awww I love hearing that! :) :)

Be sure to take pics please! I don't think I've ever seen them before.....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You make the dough with yeast and then refrigerate it?

No proofing or worry about killing the yeast or anything?

I don't get it, but man, I'm liking this idea!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
They are wonderful. I grew up making them with my bubie and my mommeleh! Yes, one does not need to worry about the dough being in the fridge overnight. The dough will grow at a slower speed because of the cold but it will still work its magic. In fact, a long, slow rise often adds flavor.

Barb--I still think that somehow our families must be connected--at least through recipes or perhaps friends. There are far too many recipes that are exactly like how we do them in my family. Northeast Ohio really isn't all that big and we both have Eastern European roots. I think it is so funny that you ate cabbage noodles and made all the same pastries---who'd a thunk it?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
HEAT kills yeast (125F and above), but cold retards the dough and allows more time for the starch in the flour to convert to sugar, and then the sugars to be consumed by the yeast. I keep 4 oz of Instant Yeast in the fridge all the time for bread baking, and the rest of the pound in a sealed jar in the freezer. It will keep indefinitely that way.

I have the Kolachy dough in my fridge, also, since 2:30 today. I'll bake Monday when I get back from working.

homecook

You make the dough with yeast and then refrigerate it?

No proofing or worry about killing the yeast or anything?

I don't get it, but man, I'm liking this idea!

Lee

LOL........what Susan and Joe said!! Thanks you two.

homecook

They are wonderful. I grew up making them with my bubie and my mommeleh! Yes, one does not need to worry about the dough being in the fridge overnight. The dough will grow at a slower speed because of the cold but it will still work its magic. In fact, a long, slow rise often adds flavor.

Barb--I still think that somehow our families must be connected--at least through recipes or perhaps friends. There are far too many recipes that are exactly like how we do them in my family. Northeast Ohio really isn't all that big and we both have Eastern European roots. I think it is so funny that you ate cabbage noodles and made all the same pastries---who'd a thunk it?

I know there are alot of Polish/Hungarian dishes that are almost exact as are Slovenian. We're just all a mish mash! LOL

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I will definitely make these, Barb. I buy sausage kolachies here in Texas. They are the best thing ever for breakfast!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I know there are alot of Polish/Hungarian dishes that are almost exact as are Slovenian. We're just all a mish mash! LOL

But it is a tasty wonderful mishmash and it makes me smile that some of our traditions are the same. Sometimes I wonder if some of the older recipes came from one of the older Cleveland Papers that are no longer in existence. I have a cookbook from one of them somewhere that I had bought my mom. The book had the name and address of the lady whose recipe it was. Sometimes you find the coolest stuff at Half Price Books if you are willing to look.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I made this once, about 20 years ago. We all loved it. Can't for the life of me remember why I never made it again. Thanks so much for posting a recipe and getting me to want to do this again!!!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
These are my first try, but a thread like this is useles without pictures.

Attachments

• P1020315.jpg
    P1020315.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,101

suziquzie

I'm thinking I will try these today too, Barb. Finally got the tree together.... Christmas may find it's way here yet.
:)

homecook

You're a step ahead of me Suzi. The tree has been up since Saturday.........bare!! lol Boxes all over the living room.

Oh and if you're going to make these, you have to make the dough a day ahead and refrigerate it.

suziquzie

LOL. I had ya beat, my tree was sitting here empty since Friday :)
I only got the stuff out because Christina forced me. haha should I send her over??(please can I ????)
:D

homecook

But it is a tasty wonderful mishmash and it makes me smile that some of our traditions are the same. Sometimes I wonder if some of the older recipes came from one of the older Cleveland Papers that are no longer in existence. I have a cookbook from one of them somewhere that I had bought my mom. The book had the name and address of the lady whose recipe it was. Sometimes you find the coolest stuff at Half Price Books if you are willing to look.

I have a bunch of those recipes from my grandmother from the old Cleveland Press from 1950. I think that's where her Easter lamb cake came from.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
That must be part of the link. My mom also liked to buy Temple and Church cookbooks. That might have something to do with it too. Really, I think that Eastern Europeans cooked and baked similarly. I really do get a kick out of it!

suziquzie

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH BARBIE BARB!!!!

Are these ever great! :D
they remind me of the "cookies" my Dad would make us with his extra pie dough..... sprinkled on some cinnamon sugar, cut in squares and bake. YUM!

I will have pics in a little while.... I only have my phone camera working and the easiest way is to get them on facebook first then copy...... but facebook is BROKEN!!!! OH NO!!
:)

suziquzie

Well, some of them exploded, but they were good!
I ran out of cheese filling, so I used some apricot preserves, then DD decided strawberry would be good :)

Attachments

• 11532_1277145362211_1037295389_30855667_4639086_n.jpg
    11532_1277145362211_1037295389_30855667_4639086_n.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 196