½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups unsifted all-purpose whole-wheat flour
¼ pound (1 stick) sweet butter
½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup honey
1 large egg

Pastry Directions:
Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then, mix in the whole wheat flour and set aside.
In a large bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and add the sugar beating well. Then, beat in the honey and egg. On low speed, add the set aside dry ingredients ensuring that they are completely incorporated.
Turn out onto a large piece of plastic wrap, flatten slightly and wrap airtight. Put in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight. Or you may freeze the dough for 1-2 hours or until it is firm enough to be rolled out.

Filling Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds dried figs (they should be soft and moist, not hard and dry)
¾ cup honey
3 Tablespoons water
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons orange juice

Filling Directions:
Remove the stems from the figs and either chop the figs finely by hand to make 3 cups or grind them either in a food processor or meat grinder.
In a large saucepan, place the filling ingredients over moderate heat, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. Do not let boil. Transfer to a plate or shallow dish to cool. Then refrigerate. The filling has to be cold to be used.

How to Roll Out and Make the Cookies:
Adjust a rack to the highest position in your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut two pieces of tin foil the size of your largest cookie sheet pan.
Work with half the dough at a time and keep the rest refrigerated. Work on a lightly floured pastry cloth with a floured rolling pin. Roll the dough into an even oblong 15” x 6” x ¼” thick. Work quickly because the dough will become sticky.
Using two teaspoons, one for picking up filling and the other to push it off, spoon half the filling over the center of the dough. The filling should be 1” deep and ¼” thick. Stop it ½” from the short end.
Use the pastry cloth to help, fold the two long ends of the pastry over the filling. They should overlap by ¼-1/2” Press to lightly to seal the two sides together. Use the pastry cloth to turn the roll over so that it is seam side down. With both hands, quickly transfer the roll to a piece of tin foil. You may need to perfect the shape of the roll with your hands so that it is smooth and even shaped.
If your cookie sheet is big enough to accommodate both rolls, roll out the rest of the dough, if not, while one is baking, roll out the other half of the dough. Slide a cookie sheet under the tin foil and bake for 15 minutes, reversing the position of the sheet during baking to ensure even baking. When the roll is golden brown, slide the foil from the cookie sheet and let the roll stand for 10 minutes or until it is firm enough to be moved. Transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
When cool, refrigerate briefly because the strips are easiest to cut when the rolls are cold. Use a very sharp knife or a finely serrated one to cut the roll crossways into 1” cookies. One may need to wipe the blade with a damp cloth as the filling is sticky.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Susan, my sister and I made these today.
Wish I'd have taken pictures.
These are almost exactly the recipe I'd been looking for a while ago, when I'd mentioned a date filled sandwich cookie.
Thanks hun, they are delicious! :heart:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I had a feeling these were what you were seeking. I am glad that you love them as much as I do! Enjoy!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhh, take a picture of a couple of them now, Sass!

Lee