Buckytom's Spicy Carolina Style Pulled Pork, Crock Pot

buckytom

Grill Master
i had a spicy carolina style pp sandwich at a natice american festival a few years ago, and got into a chat with the cooks. when i got home, i made it for myself, from what i could recall.
by the way, this is by no means a low fat dish. trying to make it low fat will just not be the same. please enjoy it the way it was meant to be. pork fat rules!

so far, i've gotten 3 "5 star" reviews at another cooking site that does that sort of thing. and don't go looking for bark. you won't find it in a crock pot. but it will be the juciest you've ever had!!!

Ingredients

Directions

1. combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and rub the mixture over the roast. wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate a few hours, overnight is best.

2. in a bowl, combine the vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. mix well.

3. place the quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot. unwrap the roast, and place on top of onions. drizzle most of the vinegar mix over the roast, reserving some to add to the shredded meat at the end

4. cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.

5. remove the meat and onions to a cutting board. remove skin and set aside. using two forks (or your fingers, if you have asbestos hands), pull and shred the pork. chop the onions, and mix into the shredded meat. using a fork, remove some of the fat from under the skin, mince, and add to the shredded meat and onions as needed for moisture and flavor.

6. serve on warm buns or crusty hard rolls, with the remaining vinegar mixture on the side.

GrantsKat

ahh thank you BT!! I just bought a boston butt yesturday that Im gonna make pulled pork from using your recipe!! I always do it in the crockpot, so this is perfect!! All I need to get is the red onions, yummy!

buckytom

Grill Master
de nada, ladies.

gk, lemme know how it comes out. i always like to hear reviews, good or bad, so i can make it better. also, any modifications are appreciated too!

GrantsKat

will do bt, the only thing I may change is to use apple cider vinegar, hope that wont screw it up........

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great! I am lucky in that my kids go for hot and/or spicy stuff so I get to try things like this out more often!

buckytom

Grill Master
glad you enjoyed it gk. thanks for the reply.

you can always adjust the amount of red pepper flakes, cayenne, and worcestershire to suit your tastes. maybe just leave out the cayenne next time. that tends to be the hottest ingredient.

buckytom

Grill Master
here's some pics or shoulder cuts with skin:

shoulder1.jpg

pork_shoulder_picnic_42kb.gif

remove the skin after cooking, but you want that white fat layer underneath.

chowhound

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen one cut like that around here, but I seem to remember it as a kid. It was a thick, crispy skin with a layer of fat stuck to it. Yep. I'll have to see if I can get one with the skin left on. I'm about due for just throwing something in the slow cooker all day. Set it and forget it.