ABTs

Dogboa

Many folks make ABTs by cutting the jalapenos in half length-wise. I cut the tops off and scoop them out. These were stuffed with pre-cooked, homemade Mexican Chorizo and Oaxaca cheese. Totally bacon wrapped and done in the smoker. Medtran doesn't eat them, so I just make a few for myself.

36788-albums1032-picture6533.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking good, Dog!

I'm of the cut-them-in-half persuasion.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmm I love those. My wife doesn't care for them either so I don't get them often enough. Once a year maybe when SIL comes in. He loves them. Or he'll make the when we visit.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't recall if I posted this before. I love these things.

The Basics of ABT’s

ABT’s or Atomic Buffalo Turds as they are also known are considered BBQ Crack in the barbecuing world. They have received this dubious title because they are addicting. If you put a tray of these out at your next party, don’t think that there will be any left when you return because your guest will eat these as fast as they are made.

ABT’s are easy to make and very tough to put down. Now personally, I am not a big jalapeno fan. However, when you de-vein and smoke a jalapeno, most of the heat normally associated with the pepper is gone. What is left is a very rich flavor in a small little package. Every bite in an ABT is a symphony of flavors in your mouth. You start with the smoked bacon flavor; move to the jalapeno, then to the cream cheese / onion and finish up with a cheddar flavored smoked sausage.

Here is a list of ingredients to make approximately 20 ABT

Here is a list of ingredients to make approximately 20 ABT’s.

20 Fresh Jalapenos (Pick the straighter ones when you choose)
20 Cheddar Lit’l Smokies (1 package contains approximately 36 sausages)
1 Pkg. Cream Cheese (8 oz.)
2 Lbs. Bacon ½ or 1 strip per ABT
1/8 Med. Mexican Sweet Onion (Diced)
1 Tblspn. Turbinado Sugar

Start by putting on cellophane or latex gloves. The juices from the jalapenos are very potent and will still be in your skin days after you handle them without gloves.

Using a sharp knife, remove the stem end of the jalapeno.

Posted: Mon Jan 29 Post subject: The Basics of ABT’s

I know that these have been done and redone in the forum but I thought I would write down a detailed account of how to make these. Also, I was playing around with my new Hi Res camera.

Keep in mind that different people put different things in their personal verisons of ABT's

The Basics of ABT’s

ABT’s or Atomic Buffalo Turds as they are also known are considered BBQ Crack in the barbecuing world. They have received this dubious title because they are addicting. If you put a tray of these out at your next party, don’t think that there will be any left when you return because your guest will eat these as fast as they are made.

ABT’s are easy to make and very tough to put down. Now personally, I am not a big jalapeno fan. However, when you de-vein and smoke a jalapeno, most of the heat normally associated with the pepper is gone. What is left is a very rich flavor in a small little package. Every bite in an ABT is a symphony of flavors in your mouth. You start with the smoked bacon flavor; move to the jalapeno, then to the cream cheese / onion and finish up with a cheddar flavored smoked sausage.

Here is a list of ingredients to make approximately 20 ABT’s.

20 Fresh Jalapenos (Pick the straighter ones when you choose)
20 Cheddar Lit’l Smokies (1 package contains approximately 36 sausages)
1 Pkg. Cream Cheese (8 oz.)
2 Lbs. Bacon ½ or 1 strip per ABT
1/8 Med. Mexican Sweet Onion (Diced)
1 Tblspn. Turbinado Sugar

Start by putting on cellophane or latex gloves. The juices from the jalapenos are very potent and will still be in your skin days after you handle them without gloves.

Using a sharp knife, remove the stem end of the jalapeno.

You will notice that the inside of the pepper not only has seeds, but also a membrane (called the vein) that acts as internal support for the pepper.

Inside this batch I am going to add 1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar and 1/8 of a finely diced, medium size, Mexican Sweet onion to take a bit of the bite off the pepper and add another layer of flavor.

Next, place one smokie in each pair of peppers. *** some people like to just do ½ of a smokie with ½ a slice of bacon, the choice is yours

With the smokies inserted in the ABT’s, sandwich the smokie in between both sides of the pepper and wrap tightly with ½ to 1 full piece of bacon.

After the ABT has been wrapped, place 2 toothpicks through the ABT. Make sure you hit both the pepper and smokie to secure the bacon on the ABT.

Place the ABT’s on a preheated smoker at 250 degrees and cook for approximately 2 hours until done.